Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
If your owners manual calls for 75-90 gear oil can you use 75-140 oil ?

in what?
with that little information

its like asking can I drink the water in this can?

You COULD but who knows.

Also its 75w140 not 75-140

in a very general way:

Effects could vary from extremely poor shifting in a manual transmission.

to merely running hotter and losing fuel economy in a differential.

Is it in any way a good idea.. except in unusual circumstances.. No.

decent 75w90 can be had for 4.xx$ at walmart.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
You can use 75w140, doesn't mean you should

I would agree. Many vehicles that tow come with 75w90 gear oil. If your diff specs a 75w90 oil and you want something thicker consider something like Amsoils 75w110.

Just like in any vehicle, you can use whatever you want.
Your owners manual suggests a range of fluids and oils on what you should use. If you dont, you guessing that you are smarter then they are.

So with that said, if your car or turck engine calls for 10/40 to a high of 20/50 engine oil, would you put a 10 or 15/60 in it? (possibly as high as 70)

If the answer is no, stick with the 75/90 gear oil which is the equal of 10/40 & 20/50.
Viscosity Chart

Why do you want to? What application? Vehicle?

I forgot to post that I was wondering about this for use in a 2013 Road Star by Yamaha. I didn`t know if they were interchangeable and if so did the 75w-140 have any added benefits . Currently I`m using Redline 75w-90 .

I forgot to post that I was wondering about this for use in a 2013 Road Star by Yamaha. I didn`t know if they were interchangeable and if so did the 75w-140 have any added benefits . Currently I`m using Redline 75w-90 .

The only reason to go to a 75W-140 instead of the recommended 75W-90 is if the final drive is excessively noisy, or very rough when shifting. If you are not experiencing either of those, there is no reason to move to a 75W-140.

Thanks Moto , I just thought that maybe the 75w-140 was supposed to be better.

Thanks Moto , I just thought that maybe the 75w-140 was supposed to be better.

Understood. It wouldn't likely hurt anything since it doesn't need to circulate, but going to the heavier fluid would just add unnecessary resistance to the rear wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back