Broke pcv valve in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Chrysler Town and Country. 3.3 l flex fuel engine. Reinstalling pcv valve and the doggone thing (plastic) sheared off perfectly flush with the engine when I was tightening it ( I know, should have used a new one and not tightened so much). It's located on the back side of the engine and I can't see it.

No idea what to do.....suggestions appreciated....

Are you sure there is none of the nut part sticking up enough to get a socket on it? If not, I have sometimes had luck putting a pair of needle nose pliers inside something like that, spreading the handles apart to get some grip, and then rotating to unscrew. Right angle needle nose pliers might work even better.

Yes...no part of the nut remaining. I'll have to somehow bore a hole in the remainder to put either an extractor or the pliers. Definitely need some right angle type tool to get it out and currently don't own any....looks like I get to buy a new tool 😎😎😎

Is it in a valve cover or the actual engine?

I second the easy out. Should be.. easy.
wink.gif

I had an 05 Grand Caravan. Chewed thevendvoff thevpcv trying tobgetvit out. Never got itbout. Best bet is to remove the vslve cover.

Being that it's plastic, I'd try a screwing in a lag bolt and then pulling the lag bolt out with the broken piece using pliers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Being that it's plastic, I'd try a screwing in a lag bolt and then pulling the lag bolt out with the broken piece using pliers.

It's threaded into the hole on the backside of the motor. He wrenched too hard and broke it off. Screwing in a lag bolt is only going to make it tighter, no way is he going to pull it out.

Pretty much has to be in the valve cover right? You could waste a lot of time trying to find a way to get it out and finally have to pull the cover anyhow. Plug the hose that goes to the intake and let it vent.

It's probably on the valve cover. If that's the case, I would remove the valve cover first so that I don't end up causing a leak on the head gasket while prying on the broken PCV valve with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Moreover, it may be easy to remove from the inside.

A long time ago, I had a similar problem with a dried-up PCV-valve grommet that wouldn't let go of the valve. It didn't break but I didn't feel good about pulling on the engine head that much with a pair of pliers.

It's best to remove the valve cover. To remove the cover you have to remove the wiper assembly. It's easier than it sounds.

I have a 2006 3.3l grand caravan and can attest that the rubber compound of the pcv valve platicizes over time and is a bear to remove and in the process the plastic housing broke off when I removed it. When I reinstalled the new pcv I used JB weld to repair the housing given the product can withstand temps around 500 F and my repair has worked fine ever since.

Just read through the procedure for removing the rear valve cover. Is removing the upper intake manifold required also??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back