Camry's consuming oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the mid-late 00's after doing some research for a new(er)dd, it seems as though many owners of I4 Camry's are complaining of oil consumption.

Is this a problem that's mainly isolated to the I4 engines? Most of my research seems to indicate this (nobody with the V6's seem to note oil consumption.)

It started with the 07 models and Toyota really hasn't owned up to the problem.

I can write volumes about it because I see a ton of them at the auctions. The sad part is there's probably no vehicle in Toyota's lineup that will do more to damage their reputation than the 2007 thru 2011 four-cylinder Camrys. Even the transmissions are conking out.

I believe it's just the 2.4L Toyotas. Toyota is rebuilding them for free though, up to a certain mileage.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I believe it's just the 2.4L Toyotas. Toyota is rebuilding them for free though, up to a certain mileage.
An E.F.U ?

Well my lady's 2.4L Camry that is a 98 burns through a quart every 3k miles. I have Motorcraft 5w30 in it now. So it's not because it is 0w20s fault either.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well my lady's 2.4L Camry that is a 98 burns through a quart every 3k miles. I have Motorcraft 5w30 in it now. So it's not because it is 0w20s fault either.
97-01 Camrys have the 2.2L, totally different engine (thankfully we have the 2.2L).

So it's not because it is 0w20s fault either.

I'm gonna take a jab at 0W-20 every chance I get.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
0W-20 oil!

You has got it right!
Ain't nothin' been right since we stopped usin' that good ole 20W-50!
That were some good oil not like the water they want ya to use now!
Put ya some 20W-50 in one a them Toyoters and see if she don't just purr using no oil all the way to the 3000 miles you should be changin' it at.

Blows me away how todays cars are supposed to be cleaner with less emissions than ever before,yet burn oil like a 57 Chevy-6...sure would like to see the EPA retest the cars after 4-5 years on the road...

That 2.4 was oddly troublesome

Oil consumption, head bolts/gaskets (Same in Rav4 and Corolla)

In my humble opinion

The best Camry ever made was the '02-'06 XV30 with a well maintained and non sludged 1MZ/3MZ V6

'07 and up with the later 2.4/2.5 was nothing but issues with oil consumption and water pump leaks

If you own said vintage Toyota and are curious if your covered under the extended warranty

Check here

http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/

Originally Posted By: macarose
It started with the 07 models and Toyota really hasn't owned up to the problem.

I can write volumes about it because I see a ton of them at the auctions. The sad part is there's probably no vehicle in Toyota's lineup that will do more to damage their reputation than the 2007 thru 2011 four-cylinder Camrys. Even the transmissions are conking out.

You see a ton of them at auction because a ton of them were moved as either sales or leases.
I've never seen a vehicle at any auction tagged as having oil consumption, so the number that you see at auction is irrelevant anyway.
A bit of oil use in no way negates the utility of any vehicle.
It merely means that the user needs to actually check the oil level occasionally and add oil as needed, just like every OM I've ever seen directs.
Simple stuff.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You has got it right!

A 1999 Camry specifies 10W-30. You tellin' me that a 2016 Toyota engine is that much tighter ?

The problem is well known and was traced to piston assemblies.

The regular shills talking 0w-20 as the cause, continue with your regular misinformation campaign.

Last edited:
Yeah I was caught trying to figure that out Nick.... I'm very tired... I started to type 2.2 then I changed it the wrong one. Should've trusted my first instinct huh??
smile.gif

But my lady's Camry does burn thru a qt in 3k miles... Still a really good car though. Only 67k miles when we got it. 99k on it now. Zero issues. A car given to us by her grandmother that was very, very well maintained.

Yeah I was caught trying to figure that out Nick.... I'm very tired... I started to type 2.2 then I changed it the wrong one. Should've trusted my first instinct huh??
smile.gif

But my lady's Camry does burn thru a qt in 3k miles... Still a really good car though. Only 67k miles when we got it. 99k on it now. Zero issues. A car given to us by her grandmother that was very, very well maintained.
Mine burns about that much too, it needs valve guide seals. Puffs blue smoke out the tailpipe on startup. Doesn't hurt anything though.

They aren't the most gorgeous cars as far as styling, but boy will they run forever.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You has got it right!

A 1999 Camry specifies 10W-30. You tellin' me that a 2016 Toyota engine is that much tighter ?

OHH Merk!!

Well I have an O6 2AZ-FE 2.4 liter engine and have used synthetic 5w30 since new and I have no oil consumption. Perhaps my late 06 is outside the problem years, but I think it has been a great little mill for me. Only complaints are my cars likes to eat brakes and tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back