UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

So when I read a UOA it seems (at least Blackstone) compares to "universal averages for the car and miles on a given oil." Is this correct? It would seem giving those numbers more than a cursory glance would be foolish. Like saying, "well, compared to others at your age within 2 months of death, your disease is going pretty easy on you." Not that extreme, obviously, but is there a baseline for "this much calcium or iron, or lead floating in oil is too much"? Couldn't it be that, when comparing to the "floating average" of other cars, that all engines in that car are awful and even though it's "normal" to have a trillion ppm of lead in a particular car that you should be changing sooner because a trillion ppm of lead isn't cool in any car? Or do they take this into account.

I'm really just ignorant on it. But reading a UOA today it made me wonder. Also, after a few good answers I'm hoping we can turn this into a flame war LOL

Last edited:
I'd think that they simply average all the reports they produce to give the universal figures. Mileage, all ppm and other metrics.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'd think that they simply average all the reports they produce to give the universal figures. Mileage, all ppm and other metrics.

The 2008 Civic one below compares only to K series engines. So...

Also, if they averaged ALL makes/models, that would be even worse! Except I guess you could see how much yours is close to "the average car". But without standard deviations it's pretty meaningless...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup
The 2008 Civic one below compares only to K series engines. So...Also, if they averaged ALL makes/models, that would be even worse! Except I guess you could see how much yours is close to "the average car". But without standard deviations it's pretty meaningless...
I am fairly certain these are engine family based and not vehicle based. I have asked for UAs for Ford modulars and Ford Powerstroke 6.7Ls and they specifically stated this is what they sent.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The 2008 Civic one below compares only to K series engines. So...Also, if they averaged ALL makes/models, that would be even worse! Except I guess you could see how much yours is close to "the average car". But without standard deviations it's pretty meaningless...
I am fairly certain these are engine family based and not vehicle based. I have asked for UAs for Ford modulars and Ford Powerstroke 6.7Ls and they specifically stated this is what they sent.

So do you know, is there a level of, "you have too much lead" or whatever particle, or is it strictly compared to what other engines like yours do? There's a huge difference in how I'd interpret the data. In other words, if it was a home built engine that lasted 20k miles and threw metal everywhere, would Blackstone or whoever say, "looking at your wear metals you're doing well because you're below average for this car" even though in terms of global vehicles, your engine is ready to implode because it's a bad engine? On a similar note, some engines might hold up to extremely high levels of whatever particle, too.

So do you know, is there a level of, "you have too much lead" or whatever particle, or is it strictly compared to what other engines like yours do?
As far as I know, yes, they are contrasting against the same family and it is based upon the average of the attribute against all of the same engines. I have seen the attribute change over time, for example, FE increased by 1ppm from the time I bought my 2010 FX4 to the point when I traded it (5 years) which suggests more FE was generated across the quantity of UOAs they received during that 5 year span.

Good point, if that's the case it lowers the usefulness of the report for me a bit. Granted if I have coolant in the oil, or bad fuel dilution it helps. But if the engine has no problems I'd like to know how it stacks up against other identical engines. If I have a Ford 5.0 engine being averaged in with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, GM etc. that isn't helping me as much as comparing my results to other Ford 5.0 engines.......

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Good point, if that's the case it lowers the usefulness of the report for me a bit. Granted if I have coolant in the oil, or bad fuel dilution it helps. But if the engine has no problems I'd like to know how it stacks up against other identical engines. If I have a Ford 5.0 engine being averaged in with Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, GM etc. that isn't helping me as much as comparing my results to other Ford 5.0 engines.......

I think we determined it's based on your particular engines averages. However, it's like the unemployment rate. It's 5%. For everyone. But I have a 4+year degree...so for me it's extremely low. So how do we know, say, if for a 5.0 'Stang "average" lead is "good" or if the 5.0 is a [censored] engine and your 5.0 is just less [censored]? It would be more useful to see counts and data broken into many categories. Like, "my v8 vs Toyota v8."

I do not think they do, but a mail to Blackstone would answer the question as opposed to all of us guessing...

I should have said, "averaged for each engine"....it's common sense that there is no way oil analysis would be valid if the averages were from ALL engines of all types. I guess this board requires exactingly precise language at all times LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back