2008 Honda Civic Si - PUP 5W30 - 6.2k miles OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my first oil analysis result. This kit is sent by Pennzoil, special thanks to them & Gena.

Took the sample at 9350 kms (5800 miles) and dumped the oil at 10k kms (6200 miles), OLM showed "-2300" kms (1400 miles) before I changed the oil. MM was 0% at 7700 kms or 4800 miles. I used s2000 oil filter and haven't changed it yet. I replaced the oil with PYB 10W30.

I added 0.3 quarts of PUP 5W20 at 8500 kms (around 5k miles), which I didn't have to, but I just wanted to keep it slightly over the max level. First time I've ever added a "make-up" oil to this car.

70% severe conditions, means rush hour stop&go traffic, short trips, or spirited driving at high rpms

30% highway or easy use. I always keep it under 3k rpms when the engine is cold.

Some people may think that 10k km-6.2k miles OCI is too short with a fully syn oil. However, I already extended it 1400 miles (according to MM), the oil smells fuel and it was really dark black. Even though it is a daily driver, it's a high rpm - high cr engine so I just don't want to take risk extending it too much. It is hard to "guesstimate" without TBN, but seems like 6-6.5k mile OCI is sweet spot with a quality synthetic.

zn80mg.jpg

Looks great, don't know the tbn, but it seems you could go longer. 6200 miles and AL is 3, Iron 8. Looks good.

As far as I know, fee of TBN is not covered by Pennzoil.

I kindly asked Blackstone to test the TBN, I'll pay the difference.

I've just got the TBN test result. It's 6.0 (wow!). Thinking of extending my OCI to 15000 km (9000 miles) with PUP.

Overall I am really happy with PUP, and will keep using it.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
I've just got the TBN test result. It's 6.0 (wow!). Thinking of extending my OCI to 15000 km (9000 miles) with PUP.

Quote:
the oil smells fuel and it was really dark black.

Wow, this really dark black (colored) oil still retains very strong servicibility ...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: dgunay

Quote:
the oil smells fuel and it was really dark black.

Wow, this really dark black (colored) oil still retains very strong servicibility ...
thumbsup2.gif

Yup. The results came out way better than expected.

We meet again on BITOG dgunay. Car is looking good. Interested in Lead at 4 ppm as my results showed similar last UOA. I don't think it's cause for concert, just never had any lead before then. Al and Fe look good! I haven't changed the oil in the '07 Si since September 2015. 13k miles now on Amsoil AZO 0W30. Gonna sample at 15k miles. Can't wait to see the results.

My last UOA if you wanted a direct comparison: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3947170/1

Originally Posted By: Guitarman200806
We meet again on BITOG dgunay. Car is looking good. Interested in Lead at 4 ppm as my results showed similar last UOA. I don't think it's cause for concert, just never had any lead before then. Al and Fe look good! I haven't changed the oil in the '07 Si since September 2015. 13k miles now on Amsoil AZO 0W30. Gonna sample at 15k miles. Can't wait to see the results.

My last UOA if you wanted a direct comparison: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3947170/1

Good to see you my friend! Long time no see.

Thanks for sharing your UOA result. It's interesting that wear metals look very similar.

15k miles OCI, something that I wouldn't try on rev happy K20s
smile.gif
but I will probably try 9-10k mile OCI with fully syn oil. Please share when you get the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back