It's that time again.... Ford front-end stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
The Expedition, now with 183,000 HARD miles (294,000Km) on it needs ball joints and tie-rod ends. It shares the front-end with the same era F-150, which loved eating through front-end parts and we've got surprisingly good service out of them quite frankly, particularly given how it is driven.

The wife was wanting to get rid of it and her car and buy a new Durango but I don't want to get rid of the truck, and told her as much. Despite its incredible thirst for fuel, it owes us absolutely nothing and has been very inexpensive to own.

looks like it needs passenger-side outer tie-rod end and upper and lower ball joints on both sides. We just had the left-rear axle seal done before the winter.

Also, the trans cooler line is weeping, so that needs to be replaced as well. Looks like the Canadian winters have gotten to it.

No huge rush on getting it done, it doesn't get driven in the summer anymore. Any other stuff I should be looking at? Rad is new, brakes are new, brake lines look OK, rear suspension looks OK, shocks are about 5 years old now?

Maybe just regular trans and cooling system servicing if you haven't already. I vote: keep it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I would have a Durango in a heartbeat...just saying.

Shhhhhhh, LOL! Thankfully she doesn't read the board, because she knows who you are and your opinion would matter, LOL!

wink.gif

I told her we would keep the truck anyways. It isn't worth anything, so it shouldn't weigh into her decision to upgrade if she so chooses.

Originally Posted By: car51
Maybe just regular trans and cooling system servicing if you haven't already. I vote: keep it
smile.gif

Both have been done recently
smile.gif
She's well-kept.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Sometimes you will regret getting rid of old vehicle.

Yes, and this old girl has done nothing to deserve her being put out to pasture. She has been nothing but reliable and has never left us stranded.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't get rid of it. Perfect winter beater. Plus if you got rid of it and the R/T and got her a new car, you'd be driving the SRT8 in the winter. I don't think that's gonna happen lol.

Are you able to do the front end work over the summer, or is a shop gonna do it?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah I definitely wouldn't get rid of it. Perfect winter beater. Plus if you got rid of it and the R/T and got her a new car, you'd be driving the SRT8 in the winter. I don't think that's gonna happen lol.

Are you able to do the front end work over the summer, or is a shop gonna do it?

I'm contemplating doing it but it will depend on how much time I have. We have a busy summer which is good for work but bad for stuff like this. The wife was saying I should buy a beater and I looked at her and was like "wut? we have one (the truck), it needs like 1K in work MAX, which I would not buy me a beater anywhere near as good as it is." At which point she realized how silly she sounded thankfully, LOL!

OVERKILL,
PM sent...I've already saved one marriage this week on a car purchase...I can even it out to the average "0" with no hit to my reputation.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
There's nothing like not having a car payment.

And the inverse is there's nothing like a new car!

Even better is a new car, and you're smart enough not to have a new car payment.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Even better is a new car, and you're smart enough not to have a new car payment.

+1

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

+1

Absolutely...with exceptions.

When my daughter bought her first new car, 2015 Mazda CX-5, she had the pleasure of seeing it driven off the car hauler. Don't get much newer.

Then, instead of paying cash she decided to take advantage of the 0% financing offered and let her money continue to earn more money. Smart kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back