PureOne PL24011 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a PureOne PL24011 off of a 2003 Chevy Impala with the 3.4L engine after a 6-month OCI and 5,508 miles starting with QS UD 5W-30 and topped up along the way with Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30. Mostly short runs, but occasional longer runs every few weeks. Wanted to see if there were any signs of tearing and could find none. End caps on tight, media felt very strong and would take a lot to tear it. I photographed the two kinky parts of the media, almost on opposite sides of the filter. No detectable problems in those areas. A bit of black sludge in the can, but not too much. Plenty of oil came out after removing from engine, indicating to me that the ADBV is working well, and it felt very pliable. Seems to have held up well.
ImpalaWinter15-16_zpsqngyios0.jpg

Impala3Winter15-16_zpsd8pwajk2.jpg

Impala2Winter15-16_zpsqtmidlgf.jpg

Does it have center tube holes or slivers?
I bought a bunch of L14459s yesterday, all classic white cans, all identical except for a few have "Slivers" and a few have "Holes"

Quote:
What did you replace it with?

Replaced with another PureOne PL24011 purchased in October 2015--not sure when it was made. The center tube is holes, not slits. I like the red gasket rings on these things--filters always come off easily, yet the gaskets stay pliable and seal well. I've never had one come off the filter and stick to the engine.

Got the job done with no issue(s) and no drama, a good thing. And in my experience, the Puro silicone adbvs maintain a their pliability well and hold the oil seal. Local AAP still stocks the Gold P1 but they now have a louvered center tube like the new blue have. Didn't see any new blue there yet.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

Replaced with another PureOne PL24011 purchased in October 2015--not sure when it was made. The center tube is holes, not slits. I like the red gasket rings on these things--filters always come off easily, yet the gaskets stay pliable and seal well. I've never had one come off the filter and stick to the engine.

May as well scrap your car now. Like a 98% chance of oil related failure if you use a Purolator........*Smiles at the Purolators he's used for hundreds of thousands of miles*

Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

May as well scrap your car now. Like a 98% chance of oil related failure if you use a Purolator........*Smiles at the Purolators he's used for hundreds of thousands of miles*

Pure oil now, Pure oil later.
Hmm?

Aside from the deformation at the one end, I'd say the filter seems to have made it through the run fine. Then again, I'd expect that filter should be able to handle at least another 2k miles.

Thanks for the C&P

Quote:
Aside from the deformation at the one end, I'd say the filter seems to have made it through the run fine.

In another thread I wrote this same thing--I always see deformation on Purolator made filters like PureOnes and Motorcraft, except for on the big Fl1As. Seems to be a 'feature' of the brand. Since I see it every time, on various vehicles, of various vintages, and various mileages, I can't attribute it to any particular engine performance issue or driving condition. You just have to put up with wavy pleats with Purolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back