2006 Charger - rack getting replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So the rack on my wife's car is weeping and the left inner tie-rod has some play, so it looks like it is time to get the rack done. Quote is just under 1K all-in, which is pretty reasonable. Car only has ~140K Km on it (87,000 miles) but apparently they have a fondness for front-end parts and it is the 1st MY of this car and it is now 10 years old.

They didn't find anything else screwy in the front, which is good. The rest of it, save an outer and the brakes, is still original. Wife had been complaining about the noise and when I was swapping on the summer wheels/tires I noticed some play in the left side inner during my inspection. I'm far too busy with work to even consider doing it myself, so the dealer will be getting the business.

On another note, the car has a strange resonating sound, very hard to describe, upon abrupt, brisk acceleration, which my wife tends to do a lot. I drove it all winter and I never heard it but I've been in the car with her and it does it when she drives it
21.gif
It only happens for a few seconds and then goes away. It doesn't sound like anything is vibrating against something else but I am questioning perhaps the health of the guibo? I know that was an issue on my M5 that caused vibration.

Thoughts?

Is that a reman'd rack or new?

Did you try to call any independent shops to get a price comparison?

Most steering repairs are a pain just because access is so tight.

That's a new MOPAR rack from the dealer. I don't generally shop around, I do the IT for the dealership and we have a very good relationship. I get everything at cost usually and a significant discount on their hourly rate.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The resonating might be the driveshaft/u-joints.

That's why I'm questioning the guibo, as it was the source in my M5. Then the shaft took a poo the following year and that was obscenely expensive (part of the reason I sold the car).

This car is very Mercedes-esque underneath, so it has familiar German underpinnings, though less expensive thanks to the MOPAR badge
grin.gif
(though the tupperware doors will tell you why, LOL!) My wife has been waffling over trading it in on a new Durango for the last few weeks and finally messaged me last night saying she's decided to keep the Charger, so that's why this is now being addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back