how much longer will engine last with bypass filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROI return on investment is what drives every commercial operator on everything from lawn mowers to jet transport planes.

I would have to side with ihatetochangeoil on this. Over the years, I have used auxiliary oil coolers and filters for transmission, power steering and engine oils. I have commercial plow / landscaping trucks that are used year round and when I talk to fellow contractors they are always talking about how much the new equipment (especially trucks) cost and how the drive-train components are breaking down and how much it costs for repairs, etc. I'm not privy to how their equipment is maintained or how it is used but my trucks with generally smaller displacement engines and lighter duty transmissions outlive their equipment by decades. I keep the fluids cool and as clean as possible. I remember when I opened up the hood of one of my trucks and another contractor, who I was talking with, started laughing because I had a remote filter and a cooler for the power steering fluid, a cooler and a Frantz oil bypass for the engine oil and a cooler and a Frantz bypass setup for the automatic transmission fluid. As years would go by, he was replacing transmissions, replacing power steering pumps, getting engines rebuilt, buying new trucks - all the while I'm still getting service out of my trucks. Sure, I have had automatic transmissions rebuilt. But that was after 150,000 miles of very severe service(daily heavy hauling-plowing)and the only problem with them was worn clutch disks. I have only replaced one (1) power steering pump and have never had to replace an engine (have replaced leaking valve cover or oil pan gaskets). Again, no statistical data go go by just personal experience. The fewer abrasives/contaminants in the oil the better. The better I maintain my equipment, the more money goes into my pocket.

Our real world experience with dozens of fleet trucks revealed no discernible benefits. We stopped using them after the new series of GM engines came out (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, etc) on the advise of our GM G Team engineer. He stated that the newer engines would outlast anything as delivered and he was right.

Engines here routinely go 250k to 300k miles, with outliers going 500k! Transmissions practically never fail with 30k service intervals.

This despite our duty cycle which voids the warranty on almost any other truck.

Last edited:
Steve,

I mean no disrespect; I feel privileged to participate in this forum. There are guys here who are a LOT more knowledgeable than I. (Doesn't take much). But after running VOA myself; and finding this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3533589/2 (Read Shannow's posting on p2). And NONE of these oils meet CAT specs to be installed in an engine. I'm very leery of new oil; and I'm leery of what any factory engineer or rep claims. There IS plenty of contamination in new oil...I thought, as a relatively new poster here, that dirty new oil was well documented on BITOG.

And I have current proof that my 12K oil has 8 times fewer particulate matter than my new oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4021718/Re:_Half_an_Oil_Change?#Post4021718

Regarding the longevity of your vehicles, please see my posting a few posts above...With bypass filtration, MILLION MILE ENGINES ARE ROUTINE.

Your "real world experience" with "dozens of fleet trucks" having bypass filtration with "no discernible benefits..." Did you do UOA with particle counts? Or how do you quantify the statement "no discernible benefits." What was the beta ratio and particle size efficiency of your bypass filtration that yielded no benefits?

"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith." If you can slap me down and point out how ridiculous I am, by all means, go for it.

No one called you ridiculous, and I won't even try to slap you down. We did dozens of UOA's and followed a strict regimen. Yet our engines lasted no longer than they do now.

My point was NOT that bypass has zero benefits. It was that there was no ROI. We spent money fitting the bypass plumbing/setup, we spent money on huge bypass filters, we spent money on UOA's, etc. We got no discernible benefits. So as a business owner who eats and breathes his work I discontinued the program in about 2004.

Then there is the G Team engineer who is employed at our Factory Authorized Upfitter. This is no weekend warrior, he is a 42 year veteran at the company that mfgrs our trucks. When he talks, we listen.

The last point is this experience only applies to GM V8 engines as sold in 3500 series vans, which are extremely low production volume and are far different than pickups. This is a unique duty cycle as well.

I appreciate your efforts, and I applaud the fixation on results and evidence-driven data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back