Mobil 5000 observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
You usually don't see an engine knock, ticks, or tapping noises, you hear them. My point is a person with good hearing and familiar with their vehicle can hear changes. Hearing is still very important in diagnostics. I believe the OP. If it were my vehicle the offending product would be out and I wouldn't use it anymore. Pretty simple actually.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You usually don't see an engine knock, ticks, or tapping noises, you hear them. My point is a person with good hearing and familiar with their vehicle can hear changes. Hearing is still very important in diagnostics. I believe the OP. If it were my vehicle the offending product would be out and I wouldn't use it anymore. Pretty simple actually.

Absolutely, what else can the average guy go by if not observation. I was going to post a similar experience I just had when I switched to VR1 from VWB, I noticed a smoother idle at start up right away but didn't because I been here long enough now to know someone would come along a demand proof other than just my observation.

My wife even noticed the difference when we put a new motor in her Caddy she told me one day it doesn't make as much noise as the old one, I was floored to say the least.

As for the db meter, I'm guessing he has never used one, just guessing. Before the new AV receivers cam out with the mic that sets volume for you I use to set it with a db meter from Radio Shack.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

Absolutely, what else can the average guy go by if not observation. I was going to post a similar experience I just had when I switched to VR1 from VWB, I noticed a smoother idle at start up right away but didn't because I been here long enough now to know someone would come along a demand proof other than just my observation.

My wife even noticed the difference when we put a new motor in her Caddy she told me one day it doesn't make as much noise as the old one, I was floored to say the least.

As for the db meter, I'm guessing he has never used one, just guessing. Before the new AV receivers cam out with the mic that sets volume for you I use to set it with a db meter from Radio Shack.

Did you notice I used the word usually? There was a reason for it. There's always a slim chance someone was doing something or other to an engine and "saw" a knocking, ticking or tapping part, and call me out. I didn't want to go down that road.
wink.gif

Did you notice I used the word usually? There was a reason for it. There's always a slim chance someone was doing something or other to an engine and "saw" a knocking, ticking or tapping part, and call me out. I didn't want to go down that road.
wink.gif

Yes sir I did notice that, that's why I used "observation" so it would cover all the senses.

wink.gif

Yes sir I did notice that, that's why I used "observation" so it would cover all the senses.

thumbsup2.gif

My Malibu and Equinox always ran "louder" with Mobil products. It is still a fine oil but for 7.77 I think you got a great deal. Enjoy it. How did it run/do you like the Castrol? I am thinking of switching to that when my terrain is out of the freebies GM offers

In my Frontier, the only thing that seems to make a difference in the startup rattle is the oil filter. Believe it or not, but it's quietest with a Fram TG7317. Oil doesn't seem to matter in mine. I am, and have been, running PP 5w-30 for the last 50,000 miles, changed every 6-7,000 miles. I just rolled 100,000 trouble free miles in mine this week.

Last edited:
There's a knob, sometimes a touch screen interface, with a dial or "tap" button if touch screen. Turn until the number is about 8-10 ( at least on my car) and it magically makes small engine noises disappear.

Also, no matter the oil, after a change I get no noise for about 1500-2000 miles. Once I push past 5k my engine makes all kind of clatter. I assume it's due to various things such as oil that's changed viscosity or something, oil filter wearing out, or my belief that this occurs amplifying the noises I hear. So, I increase the dial/knob and it goes away every time.

Now, with Mobil 1 0w-20, my car eats it like its Frosted Flakes in front of a teenager. But it also does this with NAPA 0w-20, PP 0w-20,... Yes, I do change oil brands quite regularly. No, I'm not worried about doing this. And I also use super cheap oil filters ($1.99 QS). Most likely, I've been told by some, I'm just rolling the dice for the ever so common engine failure by using inferior products. But hey, I'm a risk taker. I like driving with adrenaline flowing through my veins. So instead of speeding, paying fines, and possibly injuring life or property, I drive slow with cheap filters and cheap syn oil. It's a hoot never knowing if you'll throw a rod because of your QS filter...........*obvious satire*

I know M1 can cause increased engine noise. I used 0W30 AFE in our Subaru and had a lot of very noticable light clicking and tapping noises. My wife pays NO attention to the condition of her cars but even she asked about the noise without me having said anything about it. The same engine with regular M1 or M1 HM 5W30 is quiet and smooth, though. I've also been using regular M1 in a Chevy pickup and a Rav 4 with no noise. The $12 rebates they have been having spring and fall are also great if you find a variety you like using.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back