VWB for 2015 F150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creeping up on 5000km and will be doing an oil change, about a 1000 of that was hauling my camper(6500lb). I got a pretty good stash of VWB 5w20 (11 gallon jugs) that I picked up for a $1/L. Will VWB be a good oil out to 8-10k (km). I'll be using Ford filters, wife works for Ford so I get good deals.

Since it's the 5.0, it's not ecoboost. It meets spec and proposed OCI is reasonable. I'd hate to waste it, and wouldn't be concerned unless pulling long hard grades with the 6,500lb.

VWB is good stuff
thumbsup2.gif
for a normal interval and since you've got a load of it, makes sense to use it. 8000km should be no problem at all. Several years ago I did a 5000 mile/8000km comparison between Amsoil M1 and VWB in almost all highway driving....results were almost identical, and the VWB could have gone further.

Last edited:
Valvoline Conventional every 5,000 will keep your 5.0L purring like a kitten. I'm going to put MaxLife SynBlend in my 5.0L next oil change since I have some around to use up. I might use that oil in it all the time too.

VWB will go till the IOLM tells you to change. The 5.0 is easy on oil and has an 8.0 qt capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
VWB will go till the IOLM tells you to change. The 5.0 is easy on oil and has an 8.0 qt capacity.

I don't think I would follow the OLM on a conventional oil without a UOA to establish oil life at different mileages.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm surprised nobody jumped on me for recommending 10W-30.
laugh.gif

The opposite Merk, it's not a true thread until you do recommend 10W-30. Just like the "key" they give you when you turn 21 years of age.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

I don't think I would follow the OLM on a conventional oil without a UOA to establish oil life at different mileages.

According to this logic you should not follow the iOLM with Mobil-1 EP without a UOA to establish oil life at different mileages.

OP VWB will serve your needs well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm surprised nobody jumped on me for recommending 10W-30.
laugh.gif

I'm all cool with 10w30, except for the -40 we get in winter lol

Originally Posted By: dave1251

According to this logic you should not follow the iOLM with Mobil-1 EP without a UOA to establish oil life at different mileages.

But you know that M1 EP is guaranteed for 15,000 miles don't you? Conventional oil is not to be trusted on most oil life monitors if you ask me. Conventional oils are pretty shot by 7,500 miles in normal driving. Of course this depends on your conditions & engine but this is just from the general consensus of UOAs I have read. If I didn't care about my engines, I'd run an OLM oil change interval on one of them & get a UOA for you. No way I am going to blindly trust a conventional oil to 10,000 miles & I think most would agree. We all already know synthetics handle this easily so why would we do anything else?

with all due respect Branson304: you should take a gander at DNewton3's uoa and his postings
smile.gif

just saying, and I know folks that use QS, VWB in fords for the oci of 7,500 miles

VWB meets Ford Specs and IOLM programming has proven to be pessimistic on the 5.0 Coyote.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
If ecoboost then I'd go with a 5w30 synthetic.

Otherwise vwb meets ford specs and would be fine.
Why the syn?

Originally Posted By: car51
with all due respect Branson304: you should take a gander at DNewton3's uoa and his postings
smile.gif

just saying, and I know folks that use QS, VWB in fords for the oci of 7,500 miles

The OLM can take you to 10,000, I just used the 7,500 as an example. Anything past 6,000 & I just prefer to have a synthetic in the sump or at least a quality blend.

VWB meets Ford Specs and IOLM programming has proven to be pessimistic on the 5.0 Coyote.

This ^^^

You can choose to run for less or use synthetic but if the oil meets the Ford spec then it is made to run the iOLM lifespan. With an 8 qt capacity I don't think you're going to have issues.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

But you know that M1 EP is guaranteed for 15,000 miles don't you? Conventional oil is not to be trusted on most oil life monitors if you ask me. Conventional oils are pretty shot by 7,500 miles in normal driving. Of course this depends on your conditions & engine but this is just from the general consensus of UOAs I have read. If I didn't care about my engines, I'd run an OLM oil change interval on one of them & get a UOA for you. No way I am going to blindly trust a conventional oil to 10,000 miles & I think most would agree. We all already know synthetics handle this easily so why would we do anything else?

Your post is just illogical and the logical answers were correctly by other members on this thread.

Ford modular's have proven to be very easy on lubricants and iOLM's have been programmed to be very conservative with quite a bit of oil life remaining before alerting for a change on even basic off the self house labeled PCMO's.

The protecting "investment" argument is severely used out of context on here also. An investment is using the minimal amount of resources to gain the maximum amount of benefit in return.

Using a top quality off the shelf synthetic and changing at the indication of the iOLM is like properly marinating a rib-eye and grilling it to perfection. Then eating half of it because you feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back