Mobil 1 or Castrol edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys.. while shopping at wally world, i saw both edge and mobil 1 was on sale..

Mobil was $22 and castrol was too. I'm thinking about leaning towards mobil since they got their $12 dollars rebate going on vs edge doesn't..

the fluids are going in an 4runner with 320k miles.. and the other is an lexus with 66k miles.. I'm leaning towards the mobil 1 for the runner.. the runner gets it oil changed every 5k where as the lexus is either 6 months or 5k miles..

is there any benefits going over to castrol edge or should i stick with mobil 1? and also, is extended performance worth the extra $$? the filters im using are wix.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: sky06
and also, is extended performance worth the extra $$?

Not if you are going to change it every 5K.

Stick with what works, if mobil in your 4runner does fine why change it
smile.gif
especially with the rebate going on

I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic for a 5k oil change, but normally I would say get whichever. The mobil has a rebate so I would buy that at the time though. You could buy two of each and run one of each in each car and see which you prefer.

With the M1 rebate, you won't really be out anything financially by changing it at 5K vs the cost of conventional oil. Either really is overkill for your planned OCI.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Yes, but he could get regular Mobil super with a rebate and pay even less than he would for the synthetic.
But ,,,,,

Second decade of the 21st century and people still do 5k OCI with synthetic !

I had 6-8k OCI with dino since '80 and 10-15k with syn.

Do your cars burn oil? If yes use M1 @ $12. If no, get the EP, upgrade the filter to extended life (e.g Fram Ultra, Napa platinum) and changed it 10-15K. Both are out of warranty so there is no reason not to, and even a 10K OCI with EP will prevent sludging, if you have one of the old sludge prone Toyota V6 engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back