NAPA Gold start-up clatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will order an OEM filter and try a fill of 10w-30 as previously noted. Some searching found an old thread that referenced a Nissan TSB on this engine for sub-spec lifters. Some owners had the lifters replaced and the noise came back. Maybe it's done it since new no matter what.

All suggestions considered and appreciated.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

All suggestions considered and appreciated.

Only change one thing at a time. In this case it is almost certainly the filter, and that is also the easiest and cheapest thing to change out.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Only change one thing at a time. In this case it is almost certainly the filter, and that is also the easiest and cheapest thing to change out.

Absolutely sound and logical advice...but.... a while ago I got a smoking deal on 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum and an OEM filter is on the way. If it stops the clatter I can live with faulty test protocol. OC due this weekend, any bets?

Try a different filter, very doubtful you got three bad Napa Gold filters. There is something in the design that doesn't work with your engine. Best to just go with the OEM and if the rattle goes away then stick with them.

I had a bit of a start up rattle in the 4.6. It never made any noise before. The only thing I changed was the oil to Mobil high mileage. I took the Motorcraft off and tried a Wix. Still rattled when cold. Dumped the oil and went back to Mobil 1. No noise. Back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back