1 piece lug nut recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy (almost) Friday and Mother's Day weekend BITOG!

I need some quality 1 piece acorn style lug nuts since mine are falling apart. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I bought (5) 16" alloy Wrangler rims for my Jeep today that came with Goodyear AT tires (15k on them) for $225. The rims are next to perfect and the spare has never seen the road.. I swapped them once I got home and had 2 near death experiences with my current faulty lugs. I had to use a hammer on a socket to get them off and I am pretty sure that socket is now ruined. A great day almost gone bad for sure...

I would prefer this never happen again.
whistle.gif

Check to make sure the pitch (or whatever it's called) is the same for the Wrangler wheels as your OEM wheels. If they're different, buy lug nuts for a Wrangler (if the same thread).

My brother has a 94' Chevy K2500 and he put 1/2 ton wheels on it and had to use 1/2 ton lug nuts.

He ordered them on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The taper might be the same but aluminum has a longer/ wider taper.

Huh?

At any rate, the lugs are identical.

Back to the question at hand folks.

McGard. I switched out the 2 piece lugnuts on my 2014 Mustang and my mom's Fusion with McGard wheel installation kits. The lugnuts are 1 piece, fit perfectly, and included locking lugnuts. McGard makes the locking lugs for most of the OEMs.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The taper might be the same but aluminum has a longer/ wider taper.

Huh?

At any rate, the lugs are identical.

Back to the question at hand folks.

What I was trying to say was you could have a 45 degree taper angle, but lugs meant for aluminum went out wider to have more bite.

My saturn s-series lugs intended for aluminum rims were 19mm across for a 12mm thread stud and had shoulder the whole way out. They also worked for steel rims. But some makers have different lugs for alu rims.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do they actually make 2-piece and 3-piece lug nuts ?
confused2.gif

2-piece lug nuts have a drawn sheet metal cover that's been chrome plated and pressed onto a steel lug nut. I've seen the covers get loose and fall off, or alternately, corrosion builds up under the cover causing it to swell and the lug wrench may have trouble fitting on the lug nut. They can be troublesome.

Yo, dlundblad, whatever you do apply copper anti-seize to your lugs. THEN use only low torque on any brand of locking nut. The depth of the security tool is minimal and that tool wears.

If you're in the "No anti-seize on lugs" camp, fine. Use it just on the locking nut/bolt then.

On another, brand specific board these anti-theft lug bolts are a source of constant misery.

I can tell you the $2/each 1 piece cheap ones don't like salt very much, but they don't have problems like a 2 piece ones either.
If you have a local wreckers you could find good 1 piece OEM ones for cheap, just can take awhile to find a full set.

I changed the lugnuts on my 89 jeep and my 03 jeep the first month I bought them. I also have a 18.5mm socket that is made just for those two piece lugnuts that come apart. I usually buy the Mcgard nuts because of the quality, I mean I they are only 13 years old on my current jeep and still look new

McGard are probably the best lugnuts available. They're a little bit pricy, but at least in the case of McGards you get what you pay for.

My father in law worked for McGard in New York for many years.

They do make a nice product and they stand behind it. Even allow customers to walk in and get a missing lug nut lock for their car, and offering spare parts.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My father in law worked for McGard in New York for many years.

They do make a nice product and they stand behind it. Even allow customers to walk in and get a missing lug nut lock for their car, and offering spare parts.

They were always one of the best vendors to deal with. They ship open charge to all dealers. The only thing that is weird, and it isn't on them, are the Ford truck spare tire locks. People lose those more than they do regular keys and somehow it is our fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back