Supertech oil filters are back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Gm bypass at the engine. So only adbv is needed

Not anymore. Bypass is in the filter on the newer stuff.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Regarding the combo valve, there must be some reason why ACDelco spec'd a dome end bypass valve on the redesigned e-cores instead of the previously used combo valves in the previous e-core design.

Actually it wasn't ACDelco, it was GM. ACDelco for newer GM models with filter integral bypass use the poppet type bypass.

However, other ACDelco ecore filters still use a combo valve. The PF53 equivalent to 3614 for non GM, specs/uses a combo valve.

So you're saying AC Delco applications which didn't require a BPV prior now use a combo valve and not just a ADBV?....

Not sure who the query was directed to as two quotes were combined, a different re:, and one point was highlighted.

To state the/my point again in summary. Point was noted that ACDelco spec'd a "dome end" poppet type bypass and previously used a combo valve.

Technically the poster (captruck) was vague/unclear on one point and incorrect on the other.

His first point 'may have implied' previous ecores for older 'GM' models used a combo valve ('if so' that was incorrect). And two, that it was ACDelco specifically that decided to spec a dome end poppet type bypass. I specifically addressed 'only' the latter, ie., that ACDelco made the choice to spec a dome poppet now which 'implied' that combo valves are no longer used by any ACDelco ecore filters. As the previously noted the PF53 indicates that is incorrect. Some for "non GM" ACDelco filter applications still spec/use a combo valve as they did in the past.

So if query ("so you're saying") directed at the highlighted post, answer no. Not stating/stated in previous post nor implying that older GM block bypass engines now use a combo valve. Still as before, spec/use just an adbv.

However as correctly noted in the post, ACDelco filters 'still' use/spec a combo valves in some applications.

FWI, I believe the WIX filter for my brothers Blazer doesnt have a bypass. I havent used any other brand on it yet so I have no idea about the others.
smile.gif

Perhaps we are just seeing something different with the ST filters since perhaps WIX (or Walmart?) did a lot of condensing on the various models.

If anyone is concerned, a bypass in a filter on a vehicle with an engine block bypass won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
FWI, I believe the WIX filter for my brothers Blazer doesnt have a bypass. I havent used any other brand on it yet so I have no idea about the others.
smile.gif

Perhaps we are just seeing something different with the ST filters since perhaps WIX (or Walmart?) did a lot of condensing on the various models.

If anyone is concerned, a bypass in a filter on a vehicle with an engine block bypass won't hurt a thing.

You are talking about an application with a block bypass. The newer engines like the LS engines and the 3.6l di v6 do not have a block bypass it is in the filter. The combo valves people are talking about in the acdelci filters are for non GM applications.

I also think that people are looking at the supertech filters on some of them and assu.ING it is a combo valve when it doesn't have a bypass in the filter at all. Every filter is different.

Last edited:
^^^ GM "LSx" engines are not very new. LS1 and LS6 still had the filter bypass valve in the engine block. Those were made 1997 - 2005. I think it's the LS engines made in the last few years that don't have it in the block any more.

Having baught a supertech st6607(Likely still made by champion) It is a confusing affair . When everything stay almost the same . good thing date are on the box . Otherwise it would be a mess buying the proper filter . So people being confused About an oil filter When they buy themselves. Imagine the clerk who doesnt know . He just grab the box without checking if its a 2011 Or 2016 And both model are completely different. Yep people might get engine issue without ever knowing what happen . Clerk put on a non bypass but that car require a bypass

Quote:
He just grab the box without checking if its a 2011 Or 2016 And both model are completely different. Yep people might get engine issue without ever knowing what happen . Clerk put on a non bypass but that car require a bypass

And, in Walmart people are always putting filters in the wrong boxes--maybe deliberately to get a more expensive filter at a lower price point! If the box isn't sealed be sure to check the filter in the box, and while you're at it make sure it is a new one and not dented! Of course lube places grab the wrong filter all the time--their thinking seems to be if it fits on the car and doesn't leak oil you're good to go, which may be close to the truth but not always ideal.

Hopefully walmart will put a picture of the inlet for a specific number with the thread. This way they ll be able to seal the box

Ps: By the way the date is on the dome

Last edited:
If you plug the new SuperTech filter numbers into Wix's filter search utility on their website, the manufacturer listed in the results is "SUPERTECH-WIX."

M471v3Gl.jpg

I just picked up one of these filters for my Suburban; glad they are back; I feel like they are one of the better bangs for your buck for filters. Back in 2004, I loved them over when FRAM was still owned by Honeywell.

I cut open and posted pics of a new ST4386. I have to say it again, the purplish combo adbv on that particular version is unlike any rubber I have seen. When the lip is lifted, like when oil pushes through it, it doesn't flap back down like others, it sort of sits there closing slowly, maybe not even closing. Which is no good in my book, and the element is small, the long spring and combo valve take up way too much length. It's just a cheaply made to an under $3 price oil filter. In that size, the others may be better. FWIW.

I picked up a ST3980 today, and wanted one for a 2008 Honda Civic too, but the ST9688 was sold out, so I just bought the Fram PH7317, which is what I installed on it last time. Glad to put my neighbors to work here in NC at the Wix plant.

500 more miles and I will post a cut st3980 with 2500 miles on it.

Looking forward to it because I just bought one today.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BigD1
500 more miles and I will post a cut st3980 with 2500 miles on it.

Looking forward to it because I just bought one today.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah it isn't an exciting one to post since there is no bypass and it hasn't been that many miles. I am trying to clean up the motor on what it is on so there might be some grit for people to overexamin and tell me I went to long of interval on.

I should run my stp extended next so we can finally see a used one of them.

I would expect Wix engineers to design their combination valves for the critical cold start condition.

So getting the engine warmed up wouldn't be a requirement for the filter to function at the correct bypass pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back