Rotella T5 10w30 or QSUD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai recommends QS/Shell Helix.
ACEA A5
Knowing now that the local dealer uses QS Syn Blend for all their Hyundais, 5w30, what would yall choose?
After work tonight I am picking up the oil, I have been looking into Valvoline Synpower 5w30 as it meets ACEA A5, though I have also read on Veloster forums about calcium not being liked in the turbo 1.6L GDI.

I have been looking into Rotella T5 10w30, as it is on sale at the local Walmart for 14.47$
T6 5w40 is at 19.XX$
QSUD 5w30 is 21.27$ (WM Bottles aren't ACEA A5, AAP are. Figure its the same stuff)
Synpower 5w30 is 22.XX$
QS Synblend (what the dealer uses) is 16.97$

I am sure all 4 would do fine, Price isn't an issue, I'm leaning toward the T5, OM states pretty much any viscosity from 0w20 to 20w50, depending on temp. This will be run for the hot and occasionally flooded texas summer, where temps here can get to 110F+
My driving is 75% speeds of 40+MPH HWY/ 25% City-Stop and Go.
Car is driven in Eco mode on highways, non eco mode in city/communities.
MFR Suggested interval is 5k/6months.
Fuel ran is normally Valero 89

Last edited:
I recommend the T5 10w30 syn blend. It's in my beater that I drive close to 3K rpm for extended periods on the fwy and it's smooth. It's even hotter in TX then in CA so it's even better for you. And it's on sale. No brainer

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
After work tonight I am picking up the oil, I have been looking into Valvoline Synpower 5w30 as it meets ACEA A5, though I have also read on Veloster forums about calcium not being liked in the turbo 1.6L GDI.

Doesn't Synpower use a sodium based package? As for QSUD, if it's stating A5/B5, it is likely old stock. PP and PUP are A5/B5 as well.

I went with the QS SYNBlend 10w30 as it was on rollback for 12.99$, and that's what the dealer uses.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Rotella comes in gallon (4 quart) containers instead of normal PCMO that comes in 5 quart containers.

Keep this in mind with comparing prices.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Rotella comes in gallon (4 quart) containers instead of normal PCMO that comes in 5 quart containers.

Keep this in mind with comparing prices.

You are correct

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is the QS blend an A5?

Also, do they allow other grads besides 5w30?

Yes, the OM has everything from 5w20 to 20w50...
No, no QS has ACEA specs anymore...
Yes, the OM recommends QS/Helix
No, it does not specify full synthetic
Yes, it specs ACEA A5 for the Turbo 1.6L

It also says that if ACEA A5 is not available, a API SM or newer is Preferred.

Odd that a 2016 Model doesn't spec API SN, but I am okay with the SynBlend.

TSB for OEM Hyundai Filters is due to blow outs in people using ECore media, calling Hyundai, and waiting on the phone for ~5 mins, confirmed this, and a Puro Classic will have no effect on my warranty. They also stated that any SOPUS product will meet engine requirements as long as I meet the correct grade recommended in the OM.

I asked about QSGB, she stated it was FF on all Hyundai Models with added Zinc and Moly (probably from engine mfgr)
I asked if Synblend will work, that was Okay as well.

She asked I avoid any 0wXX, or Xw20 oils, didn't go into detail why, as I figure with a turbo it makes some sense.

The Hyundai Rep also dropped this on me.
PYB/QSAD = 3k OCI
PGB/QSED = 4k OCI
PP/PUP/QSUD = 5k OCI
Rotella T5/T6 = 5k OCI
Helix = 5k OCI

I ran everything from mobil super sYnez to older Castrol 5w30 synthetic blend to royal purple 0w20 in the 1.6l gdi accent I had.

Gas made a bigger difference in engine noise. The gdi is just noisy. Mid grade and premium made it a little quieter but not much. Noticeable to the fiance as she went about a week not riding in it and noticed it quieter Furstenberg thing.

We've got a Tucson with the 2.4 gdi in it now and it's the same. Older PP 5w20 in it now.

Might put the only jug of QSGB I have in it next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Please post photos of your car. QSUD would be my choice.

Day after I got it.
Ill take more pics this weekend after I wash and wax and vacuum it, sadly I park in a driveway under a tree where a family of pigeons decided to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back