Mobil 5000 observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month I got an OC at my local Nissan dealer. They sent me a card in the mail for a $7.77 OC and I said what the heck. Walked out the door paying $10.70 because of extra oil and tax.
The dealer used Mobil 5000, 5w30 in my case. The previous 2 OC's I used Magnatec and OEM filters.
Now VQ40 engines are known for start up clatter. No bigge, my 02 VQ33 had the same thing.
Here is my observations, the start up clatter is no shorter or longer with the 5000, but it is definitely louder.
Opinions?

Last edited:
A 2008 Honda Civic that I serviced March 19th of this year with Mobil 5000 5W-20 conventional oil life monitor went off yesterday at 15%(7,100 miles). Fill was four quarts, and it consumed one quart. I asked how the engine sounded, and he said it sounded pretty good for the price considering he got a $7 rebate check in the mail.

That's what the Infinity dealership switched to after having used GTX SynBlend for the first 20K miles on my wife's leased M37Sport every 5K miles. Ran flawlessly on the MS5K for the other 28K. Noticed no difference between them.

Just so the oil keeps the parts separated! Magnetech has many positive reports

All right all right.... Why is it when anyone who makes an auditory observation that many want to disregard the person's account? Unless it can be proven they are hearing impaired then let's give them the benefit of the doubt to an extent.

Having stated that... I was driving my step father's Camry. It sounded louder than normal to my ears. It had been 3 years since I had drove the car but something didn't sound right. Pulled the dipstick at a nearby 711. Dry as a bone. Went to Autozone and purchased 2 quarts then added 1.75 quarts of Mobil 1 5w30. Problem solved. Now my step father has poor hearing related to working in Newport News Ship Building and Amoco oil refinery. He didn't notice the obvious increase in engine noise. I hadn't driven the car in 3 years but I remembered what the car used to sound like while running. I will say that my lady's Camry runs much quieter on Motorcraft 5w30 than anything else I've put in it. I am just as sure of that has I was about my step fathers Toyota Avalon.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Verify with a db meter and get back to me.

Have you ever even used a dB meter?

Do you realize how terribly impractical that would be to try and get accurate and repeatable results?

Give me a break!

Here's an idea ... Go get your dB meter and log your own start up noise for 10 days or so and get back to us.

Let me know how that goes for you.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd try a 10W-30 with a high flow filter like a Fram Ultra or a NAPA Platinum.

What benefit is an ILSAC 10w-30 going to provide over an ILSAC 5w-30?

Change oil filter back to what you normally use, top it off with whatever oil you have on hand and then see what happens.

Any time I have Mobil oil in my Toyota Tacoma 3.4 engine, GM LS1 engine, or GM 2.2 engine no matter if it is conventional or synthetic, they always have more engine noise than other oils but I can do extended drain intervals and the engines do not burn any oil. When I use other oils: Quaker State, Pennzoil, Kendall the engines are a lot quieter but they burn about one quart every 3,000-4,0000 miles. The 2.2 engine is quiet and does not burn oil when using Valvoline conventional but burns through the Valvoline Synthetic at an amazing rate.The LS1 engine was a real rattler with Mobil 1 but it quieted down with QSUD. My plow trucks with GM 350 CID engines seem to run good with whatever I put in them. I had a 1979 plow truck I bought used that burned through a quart of oil every 300 miles and I dumped any used engine or gear oil I could find in it but it ran real quiet until the day I drove it to the dealer to trade it in for another truck. Then the engine started to overheat and the manual transmission was overheating and grinding and I had a lot of scrap rims and stuff in the bed of the truck. I barely made to the dealership, running on the berm of the highway with my hazard lights flashing. Once there, I gave them the keys to the truck and got in my new truck and drove home.

I have the Tacoma 3.4 and beleive it is noisier on M1 (5w30) than the "dino" i ran before switching. I have good reason to think it isn't my imagination...it used to bug me a little but now I don't care. Obviously didn't hurt anything.

Just for the heck of it. Someday try some Havoline or Quaker State conventional in your 3.4. My 2004 3.4 Tacoma runs the quietest with those brands. Mobil-1 5w-30 always made the valve train sound like a sewing machine.

Agree, I used to use Chevron Supreme and other conventional and it was quiet. Switched to the M1 years ago for extended drains.

A person with regular good hearing can hear a difference in engine noise due to a change in oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Basically, humans can hear a 0.4 dBa difference.

9 engines of various mileage, tested on SAE 20s, 30s, 10W30s for a baseline. Switched to a "shear stable" 10W40.

The 6 loudest engines lost between 3-6dBA 15 minutes after the Oil change. 3 of those were even quieter a week later.

Authors conclude that a shear stable 10W40 can offer a noise reduction over 10W30 and SAE 30, and that the cleaning effect may contribute to improved noise over a period of time.

Engines had hydraulic lash adjusters.

From this thread:
Engine Noise Level - BITOG

From this paper:
R.M. Stewart & T.W. Selby, JAN 1977

In this Book:
The Relationship Between Engine Oil Viscosity and Engine Performance, Part 2
By Ross M. Stewart

And from Georgia State University, you should be able to hear from 20Hz to 20kHz in frequency, and a volume change of 1 dB. These are conservative figures.

JSU dB

Quote:
JND in Sound Intensity

A useful general reference is that the just noticeable difference in sound intensity for the human ear is about 1 decibel.

JND = 1 decibel
In fact, the use of the factor of 10 in the definition of the decibel is to create a unit which is about the least detectable change in sound intensity.

That having been established, it can be noted that there are some variations. The jnd is about 1 dB for soft sounds around 30-40 dB at low and midrange freqencies. It may drop to 1/3 to 1/2 a decibel for loud sounds.

JSU - Human Ear

Quote:
Usually "sound" is used to mean sound which can be perceived by the human ear, i.e., "sound" refers to audible sound unless otherwise classified. A reasonably standard definition of audible sound is that it is a pressure wave with frequency between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz and with an intensity above the standard threshold of hearing. Since the ear is surrounded by air, or perhaps under water, the sound waves are constrained to be longitudinal waves. Normal ranges of sound pressure and sound intensity may also be specified.

Frequency:
20 Hz - 20,000 Hz (corresponds with pitch)
Intensity:
1 x E-12 - 10 watts/m2 (0 to 130 decibels)
Pressure:
2 x E-5 - 60 Newtons/m2, 2 x E-10 - 0.0006 atmospheres

Thanks for all the comments. I always use an OEM filter. And I do not need a DB meter to tell its louder, do you need one to tell if your TV is louder??
M5k is a good oil no doubt, but certain VQ engines and TC's have proven they can be finicky with its oil diet.
I am still under warranty so I am sticking with 5w30 for now.
Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back