NAPA Gold start-up clatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I've used NAPA Gold filters for years with confidence because they're Wix and the price is OK bought on sale. The 3.3L Xterra 135K that I bought 12/14 has had 2-3 seconds of start-up clatter on 3 OCs now with the Gold and either 5w-30 Maxlife or 5w-30 Pennzoil HM. It seems a bit louder with the Pennzoil. Is there a different filter I can try to lessen the clatter with the next fill of PU 10w-30 + MOS ? Probably not hurting anything but annoying.

thanks

It's not about flow it's about the ADBV. The Napa Gold filter is a very high quality filter as you certainly know. My Jeep is start fussy about filters though and the Napa Gold is one of the worst offenders for start up noise.

I have used them extensively on our other vehicles without the slightest issue.

Your vehicle simply doesn't like them. Try another filter. I have had the best luck resolving start up issues with Napa Silvers, Fram Tough Guards and Motorcraft filters. That is after a lot of experimentation.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It's not about flow it's about the ADBV.

+1

Never have had that start up noise on oil filters for the past 30 years,,,just don't get it...older than dirt now...lol

May try the OEM, $7.25 on Amazon. So is the clatter vehicle specific or vehicle+filter specific? If a Fram TG quiets yours it won't necessarily quiet mine? Heck, was hoping not to have a science experiment for the next 2 years with a recommendation that the Motorcraft Silver Tough Guard will shut it up!

Courier Driver, this is the first vehicle I've had it happen consistently on day after day. Not like the filter is on backwards or the oil was poured in wrong... some engines do it.

If it's the ADBV (most likely), then any filter that has a 100% sealing ADBV should quiet it down. Silicone ADBVs usually work the best.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If it's the ADBV (most likely), then any filter that has a 100% sealing ADBV should quiet it down. Silicone ADBVs usually work the best.

Pretty sure the NAPA Gold has a silicone valve, same with 3 filters, now what??

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Pretty sure the NAPA Gold has a silicone valve, same with 3 filters, now what??

They do ... but doesn't mean they always work right.

The Wix/NAPA Gold works great on my 4.0 Jeep. With the old white can Purolator it was start up clatter heaven. Jeep 4.0 ADBV has to work good because the filter is horizontal on the engine. I know that's the opposite of KCJeep experience, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Never have had that start up noise on oil filters for the past 30 years,,,just don't get it...older than dirt now...lol
As my hearing has diminished over the years engines are becomming quieter and quieter. Can't see with out my reading glasses and with my hearing aids on and wearing my glasses I have sensory overload,. One or the other but not both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
As my hearing has diminished over the years engines are becomming quieter and quieter. Can't see c-r-a-p with out my reading glasses and with my hearing aids on and wearing my glasses I have sensory overload,. One or the other but not both.

Engines are getting quieter. You can't even hardly hear the valve train anymore unless you open the hood on some of them. Used to be all you could hear was the intake exhaust fan and accessories besides the occasional rod knock.

I'd try a slightly thicker 30 grade,some kind've 10W30. Maybe it'll leave a thicker oil film on the top end quieting the startups? I've never had startup noise before and have used about every filter available.

At Christmas time, I changed oil and filter on my mother's 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis. The filter removed was a Pro-Tec 159 made by Wix. The filter on this engine is horizontal. No startup rattle was noted. She uses 5w20.

The Pro-Tec 159 uses a nitrile combo valve which doubles as the ADBV and Bypass valve.

Since you have had startup rattle with 3 NAPA Golds, it's time to try something else. KCJeeps plan is good.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back