Castrol's 5w20 synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Castrol has a 5w20 in all three versions of it's synthetics (black Edge, gold Edge and Magnatec). With the stellar UOAs shown with their cheapest, Magnatec, why would I use one of the others? (I know the gold is rated for 15K but I'll never go that far...10K would be the max for me).

I have used Magnatec a good bit even the 5w20 full syn, and while I like it a lot I would not be convinced it was a 10k oil without some UOA's.

The other two should be without any trouble.

Many buyers are simply going to equate price with quality and I imagine there is some truth to that here, but if doing mediocre length OCI's the Magnatec is the way to go IMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have used Magnatec a good bit even the 5w20 full syn, and while I like it a lot I would not be convinced it was a 10k oil without some UOA's.

The other two should be without any trouble.

Many buyers are simply going to equate price with quality and I imagine there is some truth to that here, but if doing mediocre length OCI's the Magnatec is the way to go IMO.

I guess we could say the Magnatec is a 7.5K oil, the black Edge is a 10K oil and the gold Edge is the 15K oil...but many will run the Magnatec for the full OLM and probably do very well.

Bbhero told me that the EDGE EP (gold jug) ran very well in his Altima. I liked the EDGE Black jug as I ran it to 8,400 or 900 miles more than my Ford recommended 7,500 OCI.

I am running 5 newer vehicles on Magnatec 5w20 with 10k oil changes as the norm. No issues at all.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What kind of car? what driving conditions?

A 2014 Focus and a 2016 Escape....mixed driving...very few short trips...

PS: The belly pans (with 9 screws) make oil changes a PITA on these vehicles so I'm looking to go further than my normal 5K...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back