Reccomend me how often to wax my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I use Turtle Wax ( green bottle ), i haven't waxed it in a couple of years now and wanted to see what you think ,the car has fresh paint it was resprayed in 2012, soon it's going to get a new vinyl roof, i usually wash it every month or so by hand or with a power washer, it is used throught the whole year regardless of weather, i used to do it every six months, is this enough or too little?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I use Turtle Wax ( green bottle ), i haven't waxed it in a couple of years now and wanted to see what you think ,the car has fresh paint it was resprayed in 2012, soon it's going to get a new vinyl roof, i usually wash it every month or so by hand or with a power washer, it is used throught the whole year regardless of weather, i used to do it every six months, is this enough or too little?

Too little.

Every 3 months is a good rule of thumb. Of course, your wax jobs will last longer if you are using a synthteic (polymer) wax than a carnauba wax. Whether you park outdoors 24 hours a day and the climate you live in will affect wax longevity. Hot sun and UV rays are one factor; salt, snow and frequent rain are another. The fact that you use a pressure washer will likely result in wax lasting a shorter period of time. It can be harsh.

If waxing less frequently is something you would like, consider using a sealant, such as Chemical Guys brand Jetseal 109. With two coats applied, a car could see 6-12 months longevity, depending on the factors mentioned above. You should certainly be able to get 6 months out of it. Nu-Finish is another option.

Using a spray wax as a booster periodically may help the longevity of your wax job and keep your car looking spiffy. Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Spray is excellent and will give you nIce deep reflections. If you get a lot of rain in your area, try their Ultimate Quik Wax. The Jetseal 109 can be bought on Amazon or directly from the manufacturer's website.

Weather permitting I try and do it when it stops beading. I use Liquid Glass and it will go five or six months. In between I use Surf City Hot Rod Detailer if I don't have time. I don't care for the yellow tint carnauba wax has, I prefer the mirror look.

I forgot you're in Spain so Liquid Glass may not be readily available and its spendy, Nu Finish would be an equivalent and is much cheaper.

Last edited:
I agree that you are definitely applying less frequently than ideal. Especially with the turtle wax, I found even on my bicycle frames it didn't last very long. There are some non-synthetic options that last a long time, like Collinite insulator wax but generally speaking if you want to avoid frequent applications look towards synthetics. Note that Meguiars typically does not advertise their synthetics as "sealants," just their marketing philosophy.

Lots of good options out there, depending on what you like and how much you can spend. Meguiars Ultimate paste wax is very good for a reasonable cost. Black Fire Wet Diamond is a little nicer and lasts a little better for a lot more money. Right now I've using Griot's Garage One-step polish/sealant because I picked up a couple bottles for $1/ea. Looks very nice, lasts OK and super easy to use. I have tried the Nufinish on my truck but didn't even finish the first panel- it was a PITA to remove/buff off.

As for spray waxes, another vote for Meg's UQW (or the commercial version "D156"). I have used Eagle One Wax-as-u-dry and it looks very nice but doesn't last as long as the UQW.

How much time do you have to wax your vehicles? What is important, having a spiffy looking just waxed vehicle?

Some products like Nu-Finish are a PIA if you get them on a vinyl surface. So they may last a long time, but need to be careful.

Last edited:
When I had more time to wax my vehicles I would do it every 6-8 weeks with Meguiars M26. If you want you can wax it every 6 months and use a spray wax when you do your monthly wash. That will help to keep the protection up. You really should re-wax when you notice the water is sheeting more than beading.

Ok so every 3 months, the car is kept indoors at all times away from direct sunlight, it only sees rain a few times a year, no snow or salt to worry about either. i waxed the car in October or November ant hhe other day it was raining and i did notice the rain was beading not sheeting indicating that it still has wax on it despie having been washed quite a few times since then

Collinite 845 2x year and a spray on wax as you dry in between. Good protection and less hassle than more often waxing. Unless you have the time and want to spend it waxing more often.

I like to wax monthly, it's my therapy to unwind on the weekends and have a shiny car to take Momma cruising
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
How well you prep the surface before waxing also plays a role in how long the wax will last.

This is a major factor here, and is so often overlooked and misunderstood.

If you have the time, equipment, and patience, then I suggest you take the opportunity to prep your paint as best you can. Depending on how 'imperfect' the paint is, a thorough wash, clay bar treatment, and compound/polish goes a tremendously long way towards making your paint look amazing, and helping the wax/sealant do its job right.

.. and additionally, a good spray wax will help extend your wax longer, if you don't feel like doing a full wax job every 3 months (or more).

I'll use my car as an example.

This picture is of the hood on my 2010 Fusion, shortly after I bought it used:

2w4b4n4.jpg

.. and the trunk at the same time.

2llewp3.jpg

As you can see, the car had LOTS of "spider web" swirl marks. It was COVERED with them from front to back. The previous owner clearly did a bad job of washing it, and I suspect only washed in those drive through car washes.. ugh.

So, one weekend, I washed it twice using dish soap, then clayed it thoroughly, and finally I took the orbital to it, with some Meguiar's M105, M205, and Ultimate Polish.

Once that was done, and the paint was smooth and shiny, I finished with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax Paste to protect and seal it.

Finished results were amazing. The hood after:

nxomra.jpg

The trunk lid after:

1zo98bb.jpg

Now, I do like to keep my car clean, and so I pretty much wash it every weekend - about 45 times a year. I do not, however, wax it ever three months - Probably more like every 6. It's just too darn hot to wax the car between May and August, so every time I wash, I finish with a spray-wax, usually Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. This helps 'top up' the wax on the car, and seems to do a decent job extending my wax out to twice a year.

This is the same car over a year later:

wo67a.jpg

... I'd also like to add that the "green-tin" Turtle Wax is fairly outdated as waxes go, and not at all the easiest to apply or remove. If you have about $10 to spare, I might suggest picking up a tin of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax or even the new Turtle Wax Ice. Both are excellent synthetic waxes (Sealants), and both have amazing shine and durability.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
How well you prep the surface before waxing also plays a role in how long the wax will last.

This is a major factor here, and is so often overlooked and misunderstood.

If you have the time, equipment, and patience, then I suggest you take the opportunity to prep your paint as best you can. Depending on how 'imperfect' the paint is, a thorough wash, clay bar treatment, and compound/polish goes a tremendously long way towards making your paint look amazing, and helping the wax/sealant do its job right.

.. and additionally, a good spray wax will help extend your wax longer, if you don't feel like doing a full wax job every 3 months (or more).

I'll use my car as an example.

This picture is of the hood on my 2010 Fusion, shortly after I bought it used:

2w4b4n4.jpg

.. and the trunk at the same time.

2llewp3.jpg

As you can see, the car had LOTS of "spider web" swirl marks. It was COVERED with them from front to back. The previous owner clearly did a bad job of washing it, and I suspect only washed in those drive through car washes.. ugh.

So, one weekend, I washed it twice using dish soap, then clayed it thoroughly, and finally I took the orbital to it, with some Meguiar's M105, M205, and Ultimate Polish.

Once that was done, and the paint was smooth and shiny, I finished with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax Paste to protect and seal it.

Finished results were amazing. The hood after:

nxomra.jpg

The trunk lid after:

1zo98bb.jpg

Now, I do like to keep my car clean, and so I pretty much wash it every weekend - about 45 times a year. I do not, however, wax it ever three months - Probably more like every 6. It's just too darn hot to wax the car between May and August, so every time I wash, I finish with a spray-wax, usually Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. This helps 'top up' the wax on the car, and seems to do a decent job extending my wax out to twice a year.

This is the same car over a year later:

wo67a.jpg

... I'd also like to add that the "green-tin" Turtle Wax is fairly outdated as waxes go, and not at all the easiest to apply or remove. If you have about $10 to spare, I might suggest picking up a tin of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax or even the new Turtle Wax Ice. Both are excellent synthetic waxes (Sealants), and both have amazing shine and durability.

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

Nothing wrong with Turtle Wax. I've used them all but kinda like Castrol GTX being my "go to" oil. Turtle wax is my go to wax.

In the spring I do a 2 step. Turtle wax Cleaner wax topped by a coat of the Hard Shell Turtle wax.

In the fall it gets a coat of the Hard shell.

I've used Mothers, Meguier's, Nu-Finish. Can't say that one was better than the other. Now a synthetic wax will last a little longer, but if you do it twice a year it won't matter much.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Nothing wrong with Turtle Wax. I've used them all but kinda like Castrol GTX being my "go to" oil. Turtle wax is my go to wax.

In the spring I do a 2 step. Turtle wax Cleaner wax topped by a coat of the Hard Shell Turtle wax.

I've used Mothers, Meguier's, Nu-Finish. Can't say that one was better than the other. Now a synthetic wax will last a little longer, but if you do it twice a year it won't matter much.

Thats really not very good advice. A carnuba like hardshell will only last a few weeks, maybe a month or two tops. Especially if your vehicle is outside 24/7 or it sees rough/hot weather. Sure any wax 1-2 times a year is still more than most vehicles get and with modern clear coats they are much less important. But to imply that tossing a carnuba on twice a year is providing complete protection is inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Thats really not very good advice. A carnuba like hardshell will only last a few weeks, maybe a month or two tops. Especially if your vehicle is outside 24/7 or it sees rough/hot weather. Sure any wax 1-2 times a year is still more than most vehicles get and with modern clear coats they are much less important. But to imply that tossing a carnuba on twice a year is providing complete protection is inaccurate.

Any wax synthetic or not is not going to last more than a few months tops on a vehicle that spends it's life outside. Even the most expensive synthetic waxes put on their bottles "last up to one year" which we know to not be true. For the wax to do the protecting full time, you better be out there applying a coat every few months. But if you are doing that much waxing you might want to use a good cleaner wax every other time or so just to remove any build-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back