2001 Mazda Tribute atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the above mentioned vehicle.We bought it with 110k miles in 2006.IIRC I did a drain and refill a year or so after purchase.In 2014 the vehicle developed a hard/bump shift going 2-3 and would drop out of over drive hard.I did a drain and refill with a gallon of Supertech Dexron/Mercon ,that got rid of about 70% of the problems.About 2 weeks ago I did another d&r with 3.5 quarts of Warren Dexron/Mercon.After this the bump shift 2-3 is gone and no more hard drops out of o/d.We now have 180k on the vehicle and it is shifting butter smooth.The fluid has never darkened or developed an odor.I'm hoping to get to 200k in this vehicle.

Sounds good!

You may want to consider a synthetic ATF, like Maxlife. It will give you longer service life or at least more of a cushion.

Being in GA you don't have the rusting problem and with a trans service every 30k should last you a bit longer. You could put 2 Lubeguard Red's in and go 50k. On the recent trans change on ours used Maxlife, no problems!

It is the v6,plenty of power. crazyoildude

IIRC I put lubegard red in the earliest D&R .I went with the Warren fluid because I wanted a bit higher boron and according to PQIA Warren is a bit higher than most and it was only $2.50 a qt at a local store.The only rust is where I had a paint peel the size of a quarter on the hood.Eric Smith

Other than some gitches w/the anti theft system and an intermittant bad idle it has been an excellant vehicle.

Did you get the intermittent bad idle fixed? Ours did a loop.. high.. low .. high.. low. Turns out was caused by the PS pressure sensor. It's located right by the left hand COP. I'll admit ours has had a few issue's but overall has been a excellent little SUV. Ours desperately needs new struts/springs right now but since we don't drive as much it's low on the list.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Did you get the intermittent bad idle fixed? Ours did a loop.. high.. low .. high.. low. Turns out was caused by the PS pressure sensor. It's located right by the left hand COP. I'll admit ours has had a few issue's but overall has been a excellent little SUV. Ours desperately needs new struts/springs right now but since we don't drive as much it's low on the list.

According to rock auto and a number of other sites only the 4cyl have the sensor.At least I cannot find a parts listing for a 6cyl application.???????

Can't recall if I looked up back then. What I did as pull the connector and jump it with a straight wire. Doesn't kick up but never had a problem, don't think the 6 needs it. I can take a pic if it helps.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Can't recall if I looked up back then. What I did as pull the connector and jump it with a straight wire. Doesn't kick up but never had a problem, don't think the 6 needs it. I can take a pic if it helps.

That would be great . I have cleaned the various sensors,replaced some of them,use fuel system treatments,intake spray cleaners etc.
The bad idle is only a quarter of what it once was but getting it to stop would be great.

The vehicle has the loud Ford power steering pump.
I have did the turkey baster fluid removal and replacement of a 12 oz bottle once every two weeks for a total of 5 times.I added 2 oz of MMO about 2 cycles ago.Each cycle quietened it down more.Now it is not much louder than a fresh unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back