Top Ten Historic Hotel Lacks Designated MC Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/search?q=west+baden+hotel

Often called "The Eighth Wonder of the World" and currently listed as one of the top ten historic hotel venues in the country, West Baden Springs Hotel and Resort offers no designated motorcycle parking.

What a shame, I think they would attract more bike tourers if they designated a section of the lot for mc parking that was up close to the hotel. No one wants to leave their bike way out in the boonies of a massive parking lot.

This is really an issue?

I've been riding bikes since **** Nixon was president, crossed the country a few times - designated mc parking was never a criteria I used to judge anything. I really don't need 3rd sex bathrooms or designated MC parking, to be honest.

Maybe they don't want the motorcycle trade. It could be that they only want the right kind of person staying there. I'd bet they have lowered their standards over the years. I'd be willing to bet that they even accept reservations for those that arrive driving their own car or arrive by in a common taxi.

Very nice place. I was there for a family reunion shortly after the remodel. I wouldn't mind going back there. My aunt had the presidential suite reserved but was bumped out for Lesley Stahl. She arrived via helicopter and landed on the front lawn.

Maybe I'm just gun shy. Back in the day my Sportster 1200XL 95th Anniv got vandalized while parked unattended, and not that long ago I came out of a restaurant to find someone letting their child sit on my prior bike while they snapped a picture. Handled it tactfully but inside I was pretty [censored] off that they felt someone's parked motorcycle was a playground prop for their kid to pose on. No damage done, fortunately, but some folks today have no respect for other people's personal property. Besides being common respect, common sense, in the motorcycle world it's also taboo-- you don't go throw a leg over someone else's bike. I just sleep better knowing the bike is parked right outside and not a ways away in a sea of other vehicles all night.

But there are valid points made in the posts above and it's always about a compromise between being owned by your possessions to the point of being too protective versus taking reasonable precautions in today's world to avoid accidental damage and discourage [much rarer] tampering.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
No one wants to leave their nice car out in the boonies either. Ed

I'm a lot less worried that someone will knock over my car...

(Note: knocking over my Burg could total it.)

Topics like this causes me to respect motorcyclist less and less.

So many buy into the entitlement bull roar. This comes from a performance scooter advocate, which by the way is more stolen than motorcycles.

...and those that are worried about vandals, that is why you have full insurance on anything with two wheel, and have Chinese flarings.

Last edited:
Quote:

I was pretty [censored] off that they felt someone's parked motorcycle was a playground prop for their kid to pose on.

I recommend never owning a piano.

Parents won't let their kids touch someone's violin, but a piano, hey, just pound away....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Scooters are a menace to the flow of traffic. Man up and get a motorcycle.

Grow up.

LoL, I did. When I was 16 and got my license I sold my moped... or scooters as they're called now.

Most businesses don't have designated M/C parking. I remember when MC dealers/shops didn't even have designated M/C parking. Maybe acquiring a new Italian enduro bike makes you feel 'special' superior, and entitled over scooters and other lesser brands of motorcycles.

LoL, I did. When I was 16 and got my license I sold my moped... or scooters as they're called now.

Sober up.

Keep the pile on coming !! Not changing anything. Go ask the average person on the sidewalk what a scooter is, and they'll indicate on the 50cc limited models that putt along holding up traffic. Yes they're stolen at a higher rate than motorcycles because they're almost like a form currency in the economically disadvantaged neighborhoods. And because they're easy to steal.

The 50cc limited jobs are largely unregulated and often uninsured, nothing is going to change my mind that they are for the most part a blight on the roadways. States are however beginning to regulate them and require a truncated form of registration as well as liability coverage, so that is a start. As that widens, I may change my tune but until it does and until so many folks stop riding them in the thick of traffic I'm still more against them than for them.

Entitled because I "acquired" a European bike vs. Asian? LoL. You're reaching for stuff now. Why don't you go rip on Harley Davidson motorcycles for a while, in the past that's been what you do best around here. Owned Harley and Honda in the past, just because I'm on my 2nd Ducati you need to take a shot. LoL. Sorry if you can't swing one, but that's not what riding is about. Ride what you please, I could care less.

When I'm planning where to stay, yes the parking accomodations matter. If there isn't at least one lot near the rooms or lobby, we select a place that has a better layout.

In the instant case, the West Baden Springs Hotel and Resort is over 250 miles from us, and it *is* the destination not just a place to sleep. People go there to experience it's grandeur so if they had the foresight to set aside some slots for motorcycle tourists then that would just be good business that in no way affects other guests access, so why not.

'Scooters are a menace to the flow of traffic. Man up and get a motorcycle.'

'Sorry if you can't swing one,'

^ LR, these are just two of your quotes since 'acquiring' your Italian Lolita. ^ It sounds like she may have already altered your personality.

Keep the pile on coming !! Not changing anything. Go ask the average person on the sidewalk what a scooter is, and they'll indicate on the 50cc limited models that putt along holding up traffic. Yes they're stolen at a higher rate than motorcycles because they're almost like a form currency in the economically disadvantaged neighborhoods. And because they're easy to steal.

No, mostly because they frequently do not have to be registered!

Quote:
The 50cc limited jobs are largely unregulated and often uninsured, nothing is going to change my mind that they are for the most part a blight on the roadways. States are however beginning to regulate them and require a truncated form of registration as well as liability coverage, so that is a start. As that widens, I may change my tune but until it does and until so many folks stop riding them in the thick of traffic I'm still more against them than for them.

Many states tag them (off the top of my head, my home state of NH does), but by no means all. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back