Is this a decent price for a Honda mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not estate sale prices. How much is the lawnboy? I would prefer it. They might figure it's old and get it cheap. People see Honda and see $$$$ That Lawnboy will outlast that Honda.

If I was pressured to get the Honda. I would offer $300 cash and if they said no way, leave your number and call me if you change your mind. I think $300 is too much for a used push mower. Like I said $450 is not estate sale prices. Next stop is the auction, where they may get $100. They know that. I get Great deals, or I dont deal. I am always thinking resale, even though I never do when I am dealing. I am not losing money on used stuff or I don't need it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
That is not estate sale prices. How much is the lawnboy? I would prefer it. They might figure it's old and get it cheap. People see Honda and see $$$$ That Lawnboy will outlast that Honda.

IIRC that Lawn Boy is $35. I am going back to make a bid on that Honda.
I noticed a few lookers of the Honda. Mainly tire kickers.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
If I was pressured to get the Honda. I would offer $300 cash and if they said no way, leave your number and call me if you change your mind. I think $300 is too much for a used push mower. Like I said $450 is not estate sale prices. Next stop is the auction, where they may get $100. They know that. I get Great deals, or I dont deal. I am always thinking resale, even though I never do when I am dealing. I am not losing money on used stuff or I don't need it.

That mower does have hydrostatic rear drive. Whether its working right is the question.

My son has a Honda mower he had to have because you know what they say "Honda is the best" well he has had more issues with that mower in the three years he owned it.. The self propelled (trans) was replaced twice once under warranty once in his garage. The engine has always been hard to start compared to my old Briggs he uses to cut his lawn most of the time. The Honda was 3x the price of my junky reliable mower my son used to cut the grass on my rental properties before i got a lawn service. However the Honda has more Power and looks much better

Offer them $200.00 tops if it really looks good if they take it good if not give them your number and see what happens.

The lawnboy was $35? Oh man.. I'd grab it running or not. If the Honda looks and runs excellent, it would be a deal at $250 IMO. Maybe $300 tops like said.

I've mentioned it a bunch of times in this forum, but the #1 killer of the hydrostat drives on these mowers is corroded axle bushings. Over time, especially if they've gotten wet, they bind up the rear axle, put too much of a load on the hydro and ruin it. The bushings should be replaced every 3-5yrs depending on use. Easy job.

I wouldn't give more than 100 for a used push mower no matter how new or good of shape it is. That is rediculous for something that can be an expensive pile of junk. I would jump on the Lawnboy for 35. You could easily sell it on craiglist for twice that since it has the mag deck.

Well, I went back. I put a bid in on the Honda of $300.
I then pulled the starter rope on the Lawn Boy. Its Model 7266.
The rope pulled freely, no resistance. Mmmmmmmmm.

Those 7266 models had this crazy medievel pull starter on them with springs and jaws and gears. Crazy. It probably didn't catch or is bad. You can still get parts for it though. If you got it for $20. That's deal of the week. Iam not a Honda fan, but am a Lawnboy fan.

I had an old lawnboy that was surging and I couldn't figure it out... sold it for $75, found it on the curb so...

I wouldn't pay anymore than $100 for a used mower, regardless of brand. It's a PUSH MOWER.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Well, I went back. I put a bid in on the Honda of $300.
I then pulled the starter rope on the Lawn Boy. Its Model 7266.
The rope pulled freely, no resistance. Mmmmmmmmm.

The Lawnboy is still worth it. You are going to be stuck with an expensive used mower with the Honda unless someone is crazy enough to want it worse.

Gram and Gramps should have been clearing out possessions thirty years ago. That's about how long some of that stuff has been sitting around doing nothing.

I put my 2 stroke Lawnboy to the curb when I bought my first Honda in 1989. The Honda is still in my garage and runs like a top....YMMV.

Its a decent mower. If the old man took care of it and used it sparingly, it will have a ton of life left in it. The price is steep, so the $300 you offered is fair if everything is in order. That's about full retail price for a used mower, but that's ok if you like it. I bought that exact mower 2 years ago for $30. They busted the fuel line and I just had to put a new fuel line on it. Sold it for $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back