Jaguar XE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on this car? When is it going to be available in the US?

Hypothetically speaking, would anyone consider the XE 3.0 over something like BMW 340i?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Hypothetically speaking, would anyone consider the XE 3.0 over something like BMW 340i?

I certainly would.

But, in fairness, I have had near zero interest in BMW's since the late 70's, early 80's. I looked at a seven series for my wife about a decade ago, and then bought her another Jaguar.

Caveat: this is based on reviews, because I haven't driven either.

Does the XE 3.0 come in stick? MT-to-MT or AT-to-AT, I'd take the XE, no contest. If the XE 3.0 is AT-only, I'd have to go 340i, though I doubt I'd be happy that way.

Realistically though, I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which I'd end up buying anything in the segment.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Caveat: this is based on reviews, because I haven't driven either.

Does the XE 3.0 come in stick? MT-to-MT or AT-to-AT, I'd take the XE, no contest. If the XE 3.0 is AT-only, I'd have to go 340i, though I doubt I'd be happy that way.

Realistically though, I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which I'd end up buying anything in the segment.

I think the XE is supposed to have a manual.

I wonder how many will actually get bought with a manual though.

BMW is phasing manuals out on certain models because nobody is buying them.

I dont think the XE 3.0 will be available in the US with manual trans.

Both cars (XE and 340i) use the 8HP ZF trans in the auto version, I believe. Of course, programming may be different.

Both cars (XE and 340i) use the 8HP ZF trans in the auto version, I believe. Of course, programming may be different.

I like the way the ZF is programmed in my wife's Xj8, being a decade old it's only a six speed, though.

It engine brakes, holds gear in corners, shifts anywhere between imperceptible and neck snapping, as required. I think they get it.

The ZF 6HP AND 8HP are better transmissions than any manual could hope to be for daily and sprinted driving. Upgrade the oil cooler and I'll take them for the track, too.

I wish this whole "save the manuals!" nonsense would stop, or at least continue quietly.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The ZF 6HP AND 8HP are better transmissions than any manual could hope to be for daily and sprinted driving. Upgrade the oil cooler and I'll take them for the track, too.

I wish this whole "save the manuals!" nonsense would stop, or at least continue quietly.

While I can understand where this is coming from, some of us aren't ready to make the change.

I sold a car two months ago solely because it was a manual. Buyer told me he doesn't drive two-pedal cars, and liked the way it had a lot of power. I do believe some of we Americans, though we may be behind the rest of the world in adaptation of how much faster a paddle-shifter on an autobox or manumatic or whatever label they have is so much faster than the best manual shifter that ever lived on his best day.. Simply don't care about that. We have the clutch pedal and the H-pattern mastered. It also has a lot of driving feel that is pleasurable.

Had about... 6 stick cars in my life. I only remember 3 or 4 of them.

Originally Posted By: Turbo_Lemming
Had about... 6 stick cars in my life. I only remember 3 or 4 of them.

Sometimes it's hard to follow you, Joseph. Are you saying you do not really care for the manual trans since you can't even recall some of your manual trans cars?

I do agree with you about the particular driving feel and engagement that a manual trans provides. No paddle shifters can replicate this, and it is not always about being the fastest.

But as I get older, I am becoming more and more open to the idea of my next car having an auto trans. Manual trans choices are becoming quite limited, and some manual trans implementations are so bad, partly due to modern emissions requirements, they suck all the enjoyment out of it. On the other hand, some modern auto trans programming is quite decent.

I wish people would stop assuming that they know what's best for others.

I hate driving automatics, and I'm not alone.

I see. Only the 2.0 then.

If people buying $60k Jags brand new felt the same way they wound make them with a manual.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

If people buying $60k Jags brand new felt the same way they wound make them with a manual.

Point being...?

I don't know about Canada, but in the US none of the XE models come with manual trans.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US none of the XE models come with manual trans.

I can't say that I'm surprised.

There were a few X Type and S Type with manuals, but they were rare.

I'm honestly shocked that they're allowing a four banger to be sold in the U.S. TaTa has really loosened the reins on what gets imported here.

Originally Posted By: Win
I'm honestly shocked that they're allowing a four banger to be sold in the U.S. TaTa has really loosened the reins on what gets imported here.

How many mass market luxury brands do not have a 4-banger in their portfolio nowadays? Even Porsche now has a 4-banger.

XE gets really good reviews in the Oz media. General consensus is that the 2.0 "Ingenium" turbo diesel is the pick of the engines...but of course, you probably don't get that option in the US. XE isn't available with a manual here, the only manual Jag we see is the F-Type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back