how often are you guys buying new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to tire shops on a regular basis (multiple times a year) for balancing.
mad.gif

I mainly buy all my cars used so by the time I get em, they need new tires.

I usually get bored of the vehicle around the time the tires wear out and then it's time for a new(er) car. Then I get to repeat the cycle all over again

My first round of tires I bought are already 3 years old, so time can go by pretty quick. They still look good and tread is good, so they still have a while...

Tires have improved quite a bit....so some of us just bite on the upgrade, or simply want to improve the tires that we have...

Nothing wrong with that!

I'll have mine replaced probably when they hit 2/32" of tread. I do 20k+ miles a year so they won't age out.

I maintain the family's cars and have had 2 sets of Michelins replaced under warranty for dry rotting on the Trailblazer, and 2 years ago the Jeep got a new set of BFGoodrich All Terrains because they were 6-7 years old and getting pretty dry, didn't feel safe with them out on the interstate. Had plenty of tread left.

My previous VW's Michelins were replaced under warranty at 63k miles & 6-7/32" of tread left. Awful tires.

Mine are 10 years old now, Yokohama S306 185/60HR13, They are hard but still have plenty of tread although they are a bit hard but i'm getting new tyres they are a bit scary in the wet

This last winter traction started to get scary turning on packed roads. The fronts were at 5/32 and backs were at 6/32 so they got replaced in March. Tires were 7 years old according to the date stamp but no signs of cracking or bulging.

I buy used cars and won't hesitate putting on new tires if I don't like what it came with regardless of tread depth.

It always amazes me how much different the characteristics of the vehicle are with new tires.

Every year on average I'd say. Usually though I wind up buying two sets in one year and none for a year.
mad.gif

Camry gets 25k/year, my current truck gets 30k. At 55k/year and apparently twisty roads I'm simply going to be faced with a yearly replacement.

I had been running down to the wear bars but I'm starting to replace before then. Too much wet traction lost, too much riding on the tire to be too cheap.

With OEM or when I buy summer tires, I get about 20-25kmiles out of them. Decent all seasons will be more like 30-40k.
Winter tires will usually make it three seasons, so about 20-25kmiles again. I don't push these too far as tread depth, as it would seem to defeat the whole purpose of having winter tires.
I drive my car pretty aggressively, so I think I get the double whammy of wearing the tires out faster and also noticing it earlier when their performance starts to slide.

Between 40k-50k miles. About once every two years. For some reason my Mazda 3 eats the outer edge of the tires, even though the alignment is perfect. It's been like this since I bought the car new 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: supton
Every year on average I'd say. Usually though I wind up buying two sets in one year and none for a year.
mad.gif

Camry gets 25k/year, my current truck gets 30k. At 55k/year and apparently twisty roads I'm simply going to be faced with a yearly replacement.

I had been running down to the wear bars but I'm starting to replace before then. Too much wet traction lost, too much riding on the tire to be too cheap.

You might want to try some more performance biased summer tires, I've had much better luck running them way down while maintaining decent wet grip than with 3 seasons. Maybe go a size narrower to preserve more aquaplaning resistance.

We get atleast 4 years out of our winters and usually the cheaper all seasons turn to hockey pucks in 4 years. This year I bought a set UHP tires for the summer for the Focus, which I think will go 4 years too, but wearing out instead of hardening up.

The new strategy for the CRV is to try some snow flake rated all terrains for year round use. We may only have it for a couple years so I didn't want to buy 2 new sets for it.

The Focus back tires says 08 and 10 the new being the newer tire due to warranty replacement. The Falken fronts 2013's. The same with the Escape, the Kumho's were put on in 2013 but has one Michelin from 02 on the back due to damage. Decided not to do warranty.

The RV's back tires are from 08 but the fronts are new. Thinking before winter hit's I'm going to be replacing alot of tires. Probably going to do the Firestone 6 month deal and kill alot of birds with one credit card.

We don't drive but 6-7.5k on the cars and anywhere from 10-15k in the RV. Typically replace tires 5-7 years.

When I replaced the 16 year old GY Eagle F1 tires on my '99 (40% tread left) I felt essentially no difference with the brand new BFG Comp2 tires. I had expected a world of difference.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
When the old ones wear out. I kinda thought that's what everybody did. I also fill my gas tank when it's near empty.

Works for me.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
When the old ones wear out. I kinda thought that's what everybody did. I also fill my gas tank when it's near empty.

Works for me.

I'm on the same schedule. Somehow my purchase of new tires to worn out ones stays at a 1:1 ratio!

Currently, 0.058823529 times per year.

0.147058824 times per year if remoulds count.

Why do you want to know?

If you work in tyre industry market research, I think you can safely leave me out of your calculations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: supton
mad.gif

You might want to try some more performance biased summer tires, I've had much better luck running them way down while maintaining decent wet grip than with 3 seasons. Maybe go a size narrower to preserve more aquaplaning resistance.

We get atleast 4 years out of our winters and usually the cheaper all seasons turn to hockey pucks in 4 years. This year I bought a set UHP tires for the summer for the Focus, which I think will go 4 years too, but wearing out instead of hardening up.

The new strategy for the CRV is to try some snow flake rated all terrains for year round use. We may only have it for a couple years so I didn't want to buy 2 new sets for it.

I tried a summer tire once, and found it had lousy rain traction--probably a bad tire choice, but they were Nokian i3's.
21.gif
Anyhow, I found myself sweating the first winter storm, wanting to put on snows before it snowed; and then wanting to run snows for a long time after ward, "just in case". Then I realized I had just decided to run winter tires for six months!

Seemed more "smart" to settle on a decent all season which I could run for 8 or so months.

Actually I'd just prefer to keep snows on my truck and motor around on all seasons on two other cars. Too much of winter has bare pavement lately.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
When the wear bars even with tread.

I agree with the above comment. That and once I replaced tired a little early when it was getting close to winter and didn't want to drive on worn tires in the snow.

On my truck, the Michelin across terrains last about 50k.

G35, Pilot super sports last about 12-15k (2 years), 3 sets of tires ago I ran Conti DW's, prior to that a couple sets of PS/2's, before that, Goodyear F1 GS-D3

On the FX45, tires typically last 15-20k (1 year). Currently Conti DWS-06. Last year YOKO Parada X, previous 2 years Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta. Previous year Parada X, previous year Hankook somethings.

The 528i, about 20K miles. Currently Michelin AS3, previously a couple sets of Conti DW, before that OE Conti tires.

I disliked the Conti DW on both cars, but on the FX the DWS-06 is a huge improvement over the other options.

In all cases the tires are changed when the wear bars are even, except for two sets of Paradas that were removed because I didn't like them well before they wore out.

The BMW is the only one that doesn't wear tires evenly. It wears the middles and shoulders, leaving two high ridges.

My goal is for this year to be the first year I do not have to replace any tires in a long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back