New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: buster
Clearly changes are being made, they don't even had a product data sheet available yet.

As far as I know they do.

Where is it?

Sorry, I was convinced they have it. They have all characteristics posted though, but not PDS and MSDS:
Mobil1 0W40 FS

Is this not it? http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_FS_0W-40.aspx

robert

Interesting....Mobil approved two questions from folks that are questioning why the BMW approval is not on the new 0w40.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

"I have used non-FS Mobil 1 0w-40 before in a 2005 BMW 330ci, but this newer FS oil does not mention BMW approved, so why is that?"

"This has been the only oil I have used in my BMW's for years. Now, there is a new formulation out that does not currently meet the BMW LL-01 specification. Is this going to be addressed? Soon? BTW, what does 'FS' stand for?
I (and many others..) have stood by this oil for years. I have nothing but good things to say about this oil but if it will not meet BMW specifications then I will be forced to switch oils. I truly hope that I don't have to do this."

Interesting....Mobil approved two questions from folks that are questioning why the BMW approval is not on the new 0w40.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

"I have used non-FS Mobil 1 0w-40 before in a 2005 BMW 330ci, but this newer FS oil does not mention BMW approved, so why is that?"

"This has been the only oil I have used in my BMW's for years. Now, there is a new formulation out that does not currently meet the BMW LL-01 specification. Is this going to be addressed? Soon? BTW, what does 'FS' stand for?
I (and many others..) have stood by this oil for years. I have nothing but good things to say about this oil but if it will not meet BMW specifications then I will be forced to switch oils. I truly hope that I don't have to do this."

Nice. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a response from Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I found this when searching for something else.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9538064&postcount=37

Thanks. We've seen this response from XOM before.

Sorry, I tried to see if it was in this thread but admittedly only scanned it while doing something else.
sleep.gif

Looks like XOM no wants BMWs business.

How could the BMW change the LL-01 the new testing specs without taking into account its retrospective older vehicles and customer frustration.

Sounds like manure to me.

Other oil companies are able to support has M1 0w-40 priced itself out of the market ?

In OZ its $112 for a 5 lires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

How could the BMW change the LL-01 the new testing specs without taking into account its retrospective older vehicles and customer frustration.

Other oil companies are able to support the BMW regime.

Has M1 0w-40 priced itself out of the market ?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Other oil companies are able to support has M1 0w-40 priced itself out of the market ?

Check out eBay - you can get double the oil for the same price, plus shipping.

The LL spec is updated as the engines are obviously getting harsher on the oil. If M1 no longer meets the standard, then perhaps the newer engines are too harsh on the oil or the standard of M1 is slipping.

Based on this theory - an LL01 oil is still backwards compatible with the standards it replaced, and is still superior.

You won't see LL01 become a low-SAPS oil, a 0w20 or "API Energy Conserving." Thats for the later standards, and incorporates different vehicles and oils.

I'm guessing the new LL-01 spec came out shortly before the new formulation was ready to hit the market.

XOM decided to release it anyways, instead of trying to meet the new spec.

Although if this is the reason do oil companies not get advance notification?

Originally Posted By: Garak
If your scenario is correct, one would guess that maybe Shell gets the first bit of information. But, Castrol and others don't seem to be in this pickle.

Perhaps a recertification is only necessary with a significant formula change?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm guessing the new LL-01 spec came out shortly before the new formulation was ready to hit the market.

That's OK, but are they currently working on getting it tested against the updated LL-01 spec? Or are they not even trying?

When you look at all the responses that XOM provided, they just say "as of November 2015, M1 0w-40 no longer meets LL-01 spec." They could have easily added... "we are in the process of re-certification" or something to that effect to let the customer know this is just a temporary situation. Without it, it sounds like a more permanent situation.

I got the impression from talking to one of their tech guys that it was up to marketing whether they were going to go after that spec. I personally do not think it has anything to do with the oil not being able to meet it. I'd go as far to say M1 0w40 is probably a better oil than the Castrol 0w40.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Although if this is the reason do oil companies not get advance notification?

I think that's probably the case.

I'd go as far to say M1 0w40 is probably a better oil than the Castrol 0w40.

Based on what evidence, if I may ask?

Just pure speculation based on the history between the two companies and their formulations over the years. I will say I'm impressed with Castrol lately and think their Edge line is excellent. No definitive proof.

Just pure speculation based on the history between the two companies and their formulations over the years. I will say I'm impressed with Castrol lately and think their Edge line is excellent. No definitive proof.

Take into consideration that Castrol never brings full line up of oils to the U.S.
Also, base on what is better? Many Euro owners, including me, would tell you that Castrol 0W30 is always preferable choice over M1 0W40 (for a long time).

It seems to me that once the parameters of a certification are changed-in this case, adding the N20 to the testing regimen-that test/certification should be renamed. I believe BMW did that with the LL-98 and LL-01 certifications.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
It seems to me that once the parameters of a certification are changed-in this case, adding the N20 to the testing regimen-that test/certification should be renamed. I believe BMW did that with the LL-98 and LL-01 certifications.

All oil companies that have LL-01 are informed by BMW of change ahead of time.
VW constantly updates VW 502.00.
This is the way to keep consumers less confused then they already are.
For me there is no any excuse why M1 does not have LL-01.
They cannot meet it, as simple as that, until they meet it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back