Polaris Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but it just looks like an [censored] buster to me. I mean, more so than a Can Am or a bike , the way you're boxed in as in a car yet lacking the safety of a car and wearing no helmet or gear.

I would much rather have a Morgan Three Wheeler. At least that has a heritage and it does have a bike engine (S&S V Twin)

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
They look like another middle-age white guy with money mistake.

I agree. For the $26,000 they are asking I would rather have a car with a roof so I can drive it in the rain lol..

A Fiat 124 or Mazda MX-5 would give you the same open air experience for less money.

My feelings are, the buyer looks at it as a "fashion statement".
I can see people tiring of it but I guess whatever makes one happy ...
Ill take the Mazda ...

Last edited:
Just for the [censored] of it, I looked into these abominations a little further. Banned in Connecticut and Texas because they do not meet the DMV definition of motorcycle and lack the safety and emissions requirements to be classed a car. To me the whole butt 11" off the ground and sitting in a car's seat also completely negates any motorcycle-like experience and solidly makes it a sports car experience. But without any crash integrity.

I didn't know 2 states banned them. I posted someplace, if it has a steering wheel it's a automobile. It takes up the footprint of an automobile too. I don't look at it as a motorcycle, they are huge. IMO
But I'm not knocking anyone who has the resources to buy a fun toy.

They sure sell a lot of them. Texas legalized them as a motorcycle last year.

Would not buy one, but sure like the looks of it. I am partial to old British sports cars.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If a vehicle can be registered and insured in one state, how can another state ban them? If you were driving thru one of the "Banned" states the can't eject you from the state.,,

Sure they can. In Arizona and other western states you can pull another trailer (with a boat etc.) behind a 5th wheel trailer. Try taking a trip to the east coast doing it.

Saw someone doing that last year (Chevy dually pulling a 5er, with a boat behind that) without a problem.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Any real proof of that?.,,,

Like what? Not going to quote AZ motor vehicle code for you, look it up yourself. It's an everyday thing, saw a guy leaving town yesterday with his 5th wheel toy hauler and 2nd trailer with a RAZR.

Another example is here in AZ it's easy to license a quad or side by side ute to drive on roads with a speed limit of 45 or less. Totally normal. Will that be legal in NJ since we can do it here?

I drove one last year, and was really disappointed. Lack of traction and power so even if the tire hooks up, it still lacks the power to be quick.

With the single rear tire, it follows along through a turn, until it just lets go with little warning and massive oversteer. This could be fun, if it was predictable as to when it would happen.

With the lack of protection from flying debris (bugs, rocks, etc) you need to dress as if you're on a Motorcycle, unless you like being pelted with that stuff. But as a Motorcyclist, this thing lacks the dynamics that make a Motorcycle fun, IMO.

As a convertible car, it pales in comparison to my two-seat roadster. As a Motorcycle, it pales in comparison to either of my streetbikes.

My advice is to drive one extensively to see if it appeals to you, before considering buying one.

Thank you for the first person review. As suspected.

Now if someone could do something about the motorcycle outrigger/balance wheels that are common around here. Thank you.

You mean training wheels?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Thank you for the first person review. As suspected.

Now if someone could do something about the motorcycle outrigger/balance wheels that are common around here. Thank you.

You mean training wheels?

No, full size wheels/tires with fenders on a sub-frame that mounts to the bike somehow. Like a trike conversion but the back tire is still there. Another one of those "time to sell the bike and get a convertible old boy" things.

DIY version: http://www.buddy-products.com/ 4 wheel trike??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back