how often are you guys buying new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking the "regular joe" here, not the track day race guys.

Just curious because reading some of the posts here in this section, it seems like you guys are buying tires yearly or something. Or it seems people are visiting their tire shops every x months.

My personally, I only see the tire shop once every 4-5 years. So i dont really complain about the wait or know my tire installer personally. I normally buy 2 sets, a winter/all-season set and a summer set. I only do 10-15k miles per year so i dont really burn thru tires. Summer time i have my motorcycle.

If i ever get a nail, i plug it myself. I rotate and fill up my own tires as well.

I rarely get a chance to buy the exact same tire again because in 4-5 years the newest generation has rolled out.

Once about every 5 years I buy tires for my bmw. I only put on about 4k miles per year.

Wife's q5 sees a tire shop twice a year. I have them swap out winter/summer wheels.

When?

When I get sick and tired of not having any traction.

Michelin LTX, removed at 32,000 miles. Biggest and costliest tire mistake I've made.

I'm pretty much exact same as you. except I drive my truck for about 30 km a day in town. Any car I own including this one which is the wife's primary vehicle I get 8 rims and 4 summer tires and 4 studded winter tires. They stay on the rims so I switch out the sets myself.
my truck has 22" 37's so I only use toyo mt's for all seasons. I do have 4 great condition 20" 35's goodyear wranglers that would be great for winter, but I have to find some rims that I could use. Might just sell the 35's and buy some new toyo's to replace the ones im running
smile.gif

so about 3-4 years per set give or take.

Last edited:
50K miles is pretty typical. Those last me around 6 years. On my "toy" I only put 1300 miles a year on it. So those tires will age out long before they wear out. The last set, which were the factory originals went 15 years/15K miles.

In 40 years of driving I'd say my typical tire life was in the 45K-60K range. I've never had any tires go for high miles before they were too worn or dry/UV cracked. My most recent set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 lasted 52K miles. Those were 12 year old factory originals and both worn out and fairly well cracked.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
When?

When I get sick and tired of not having any traction.

Michelin LTX, removed at 32,000 miles. Biggest and costliest tire mistake I've made.

Yes sir. Michelins suck. Had them on my truck, like stopping on ice when wet, you never knew when they were going to grip or not, gave the abs a good workout.

Most of our tires age out with 30-50% tread left. I had a recent set of RFT tires that cracked and bulged, but that's more a function of how stiff RFT tires are... and the fact that they are OE, and were six years old, which while not immediate condemnation age, still is getting up there...

Pushed a pair of BFG A/T KO's to 6 years, and that's with a front suspension with bad lower control arm bushings. With new bushings, alignments and the new BFG A/T KO2's we'll see if they can last the same or longer.

I tend to buy tires that are rated for 60k miles or more, so I'm not buying tires often. But with two cars and three sets of tires, I'm still buying a set of tires for one car or another about every 18 months.

And while I do most of my own maintenance, I like to have Discount Tire take care of rotations, and rotating between winter and summer tires. I have had very good success with them, and am confident that they do as good a job as I would, so why not. Especially since they don't charge me a cent for it.

so yes, I'm in the tire shop two to four times a year. I make appointments ahead of time, so I rarely have to wait too long.

When the old ones wear out. I kinda thought that's what everybody did. I also fill my gas tank when it's near empty.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Most of our tires age out with 30-50% tread left. I had a recent set of RFT tires that cracked and bulged, but that's more a function of how stiff RFT tires are... and the fact that they are OE, and were six years old, which while not immediate condemnation age, still is getting up there...

The only tires age out with tread left were spare tires. The LS400 was the only spare tire had been used once or twice in 22 years I had the car.

The rear of S2000 is usually lasted about 10-15k miles, the tires of E430 lasted about 20-25k miles, the OEM lasted only 14k miles.

I stay with DT to claim tread life warranty.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
how often are you guys buying new tires

Only when the old ones are worn out or aged to the point that they aren't safe. I just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 on my wife's Durango a few weeks ago-the Firestone tires had somewhere around 70,000 miles on them. I have the same Michelin tires on my pickup and it's outstanding in the snow and on wet roads, and it's extremely smooth on dry pavement.

On the Subaru Outback we had I changed out a set of Michelin Harmony tires at somewhere north of 100,000 miles. They still had decent tread left, but were getting fairly old.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

My personally, I only see the tire shop once every 4-5 years.

I rarely get a chance to buy the exact same tire again because in 4-5 years the newest generation has rolled out.

Pretty much the same with me even on my performance cars.

Yup, only every few years. The Mrs puts the most distance on her car, 2005 Chrysler Pacifica AWD, 290,000 km. We're on the third full set, sort of, as she got a nail in a couple of tires that couldn't be fixed so we had new/old tires on it for a while. 3.5 sets in 11 years with a few repairs? Nope, I don't go to any tire shop on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back