Why are some experienced people so conceited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't always the case, but I've run into many mechanics or just anyone in general who's been in the same field for 25 plus years. They're always right, you can't tell them anything, it's their way or not at all. etc. In my opinion you can never be in an industry too long to not learn something new. Reminds me of a job that I worked at and I really wanted to work on the pumps, but the mechanic was impossible to work with. it was his way or no way at all. People complained I was slow, well you have me taking apart a 20 year old rusted out pump with a 9/16" open end/box end wrench that I have to hit with a hammer to break all the bolts loose and prey they don't round off. Why not let me spray it down with some pb blaster, do something else and come back in 30 minutes and buzz them off with the impact wrench? Nope..... Main reason why I work for myself now. Customers tell me what they want done and I figure out my own way to get the job done. (Oops maybe I'm becoming one of them) haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask some of those long-term wrench turners if they could repair a Prius or Tesla....that would change their tunes.

My FILs a carpenter and the same way. Only he can measure an opening for a window. If you get results and people ask for you by name you can let the pleasantries slide.

Wow.. People in the IT field.. Exact same.. Have the knowledge but could learn some tact in speaking to others, especially colleagues
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Wow.. People in the IT field.. Exact same.. Have the knowledge but could learn some tact in speaking to others, especially colleagues
smile.gif

I think it's just cockiness developed over years of seeing incompetent people amazed at what they do.

One thing I learnt in the Army was, it's all about the team, not the person.

When you start, you do everything so you can gain experience and get good at it. Once you are good at your job, they promote you, and your new job is to teach other people how to do it, not do it yourself. And so up…

As as section commander, freshly promoted, I was working a little too hard and not letting my section do enough of the work. My Troop Sergeant, pulled me aside, told me to down tools, and give the other blokes a go.

YES SERGEANT !!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
HAVAC techs are the worst.

Just to prove your point, we are HVACR techs.
When I started we were HVAC techs.
We do what works best in our experience.... maybe you should sit back and learn.... just like we had to.

Nothing worse than a kid that already know it all.

We are trying to teach you a trade so you can feed your family for life... a little respect please.

i was in the engine business all my life and when someone would say im doing it wrong or they can do it better i threw it into their laps i figure if someone says they are better than me they can do the job themselves. My sons learned when they were young if they think they can do something better they got the job.

This conceit can come from young people just entering the work force. It appears that some professors/teachers foster this attitude in students. It's the you know it all, don't accept entry positions or wages and demand your rights or don't take the job.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
smile.gif

I think it's just cockiness developed over years of seeing incompetent people amazed at what they do.

That's probably true. One of the work computers was doing something silly, so I fixed it, and someone (who's not great with computers) asked how I fixed it. I told him that I might as well tell you I cast a magic spell and tell you the incantation I used, because if I tell you what I really did, it'll make as much sense and be just as useful to you.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Ask some of those long-term wrench turners if they could repair a Prius or Tesla....that would change their tunes.

Judging from the posts by the old-timers on iATN, you would be surprised.

I think some people just value their time more. They know if they give a brusque answer it will tend to lead off further questions, and they can get the job done faster.

Also... some people are just underfoot. One question after another, and not all of them all that bright. What happens if every job needs 15-30 minute of explanation? Would anyone want to pay an extra 10-20% to use that guy, since after all, he or she has to cover their costs.

But I'm sure some of them are truly conceited, no getting around that. They might also be doing it to cover lack of knowledge, that too.

Actually I had a fantastic one last fall when my blower motor went out. This guy took the time to explain everything, asked if I had any questions, and adjusted the airflow in my duct work without me asking. The system has never blown better throughout the house.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Actually I had a fantastic one last fall when my blower motor went out. This guy took the time to explain everything, asked if I had any questions, and adjusted the airflow in my duct work without me asking. The system has never blown better throughout the house.

Speaking of which, the guy who cleans my furnace is also great. Explains all about what he's doing, etc.

I usually take the day (or half a day) off from work when I get work done on the house (usually just furnace or septic). Guys are good, explain what they are looking for. I'm there in case they find something, and I generally authorize whatever--sure beats them finding the wife who will just wind up calling me, and then having to explain over the phone whatever the issue is.

I invariably forget whatever it is they explain, and I'm sure they could snow me if they really wanted to, but so far so good.

I guess conceit is human nature. True story. After bringing a 420 MW, coal fired, balanced draft B&W steam generator(boiler) back on the line, a planner/scheduler doing a follow up look-see called the unit shift supervisor to tell him operations had failed to place the bottom ash seal trough in service(no water) No way said the shift supervisor, unit won't run like that. Well it was running and the seal trough was bone dry and was making a great sucking sound that could be heard over all the other machinery in the vicinity. This was the same shift supervisor who one graveyard shift had his equipment operators get grease guns from the tool room and pump grease in any zerk they could find. Next morning, planner sees work request stating main plant coal conveyor back stop clutch had failed. It had actual burned itself up and was so overheated all the OEM paint was turned to ash. Some operations nose picker had pumped an ep grease into a unit that takes Lubriplate Aero and nothing else. Formsprag type overrunning clutches will self destruct if the wrong grease is used.Grease is grease and balanced draft steam generators won't run without the seal trough filled with water. This according to Milo.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

It sounds like this guy had self confidence.

Conceit is one way to cover a lack of self-confidence.

Originally Posted By: SR5
One thing I learnt in the Army was, it's all about the team, not the person.

When you start, you do everything so you can gain experience and get good at it. Once you are good at your job, they promote you, and your new job is to teach other people how to do it, not do it yourself. And so up…

As as section commander, freshly promoted, I was working a little too hard and not letting my section do enough of the work. My Troop Sergeant, pulled me aside, told me to down tools, and give the other blokes a go.

YES SERGEANT !!
Amen brother ! Retired USAF NCO here.

That said, with the internet today, Social media and computer technology has produced Narcissistic Personality Disorder at an alarming rate ! Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. Look at our current political situation (NO MORE DISCUSSION ON THAT TOPIC PLEASE ! LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back