How do you guys do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a different oil on every oil change, because my stash has lots of different kinds in it. Bought my car last year, have run Chevron Supreme HM, Pennzoil HM, and Pennzoil Platinum HM. Next is Mobil 1 EP.

I'm running the Pennzoil for Pennzoil, they mailed it to me. I have to go 7,500 miles to do the Blackstone UOA.

All the oil in my stash is $2 a quart or less. Lots of $1 a quart or less. I've got a beater, and am trying to run as many miles as possible as cheap as possible. Why? Well, why not?

I maintain that keeping the sump full is essential. As far as which oil is of no real consequence. My present fleet consumes no oil to speak of and I put less than 150 miles on the BMW and about 2K on the Rat last yr. The Camry goes to Valvoline when the light comes on. I also hang at other car related forums. Some of you guys . I keep a few qts of Castrrol 20w50 bike oil for the 528e. The Rat gets 5w30. I have a few qts of each, some Dex-Merc some left over DOT4. 80/90 gear oil and 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant. When I feel I need an oil change I go get it. I try to use up the stuff I have around and asave the extra qts for top offs that aren't needed.

I just added a case..that's right, 12 bottles of NAPA 5w30 synthetic on sale yesterday. Not individual bottles placed helter skelter in a grocery cart. These 12 are packed tightly together in a nice cardboard box with 'this side up' printed on each one. I made a special place on the 3rd shelf up, snugged the 12 up tight to the Valvoline Vr1 20w50 that will be the oil for the Harley, very soon, As I closed the door to the garage I could hear some giggles and moaning going on, I think this is going to be one of my best batches yet! I also snuck in a bottlt of MOS2 they werent expecting as a little rewaed. Time to Pahtay!!!

Last edited:
When I put the mower away earlier I glanced over at the jug sitting on the tool chest almost like it was talking to me, so I cleared a spot on the bottom shelf and stuck in behind the weed spray.

Out a sight out a mind maybe.

I don't have my filter yet so I should be ok!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm not due for the OC until the end of the month I about can't stand it. Not sure I can make it!

Just look at the oil bottles/jugs in you stash and say "I'm good for X number of years" then smile and walk away.

Pretty much this. I have two cars, but one is under warranty and we arranged to have the Nissan dealer do all our oil changes until 100k miles, so all the oil and filters in my stash are for my daily driver 2010 Fusion.

With 69 quarts of oil and 16 oil filters in my stash, I won't have to buy another filter or any more oil for my car for another 12 oil changes - approximately 90,000 miles. That means I'm good for 3 years. It's a good feeling.

I stash oil because I am cheap.
If I change the oil early, that defeats the purpose of buying it cheap.
Heck, my last change in my wifes car was with some Pennzoil Platinum made in 2010/2011 (purchased is 2013 or so). I think I paid $1/qt for that.
The Valvoline NextGen in my truck is from 2013 (purchased in 2014/15) was free after rebate (I think I actually made money off it).

As for what my vehicles like, I don't know, they don't talk to me and I have not done any UOA's on them.
I do know that my truck uses about 1 qt every 1500 miles with the NextGen 5w-20 (I top up with NextGen 5w-30). I have 1 more change left with the NextGen before trying something different, I think it will be some 5w-20 Castrol GTX Syn Blend ($1/qt), so will see if use is any different.
For the wife's car, the first 25,000 miles was whatever the Toyota dealer put in it (regular 5w-20 Toyota oil and filter per the receipt), the last 2 changes were with the "old" 5w-20 PP (and the next 3 will also be the same oil) with no oil usage in 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back