BMW X1 / N20 2.0L Turbo - what oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
BMW Twin Power Turbo 5W-30

That's what I said! Just order 5 -1 liter bottles and the filters and o rings and know you have the correct specs and amount of oil (no dipstick)

I change my oil 1 time a year in my n20 . I usually only get 5k a year. Very weekend trip car. As I understand it, changing the oil too frequently could be as harmful as not changing the oil enough.

Personally I will probably continue dealer services annually even though my 2012 is out of warranty and paid for, it will be a long term BMW ownership experience.

Last edited:
Have owned BMWs since early '80s. If you own and plan to to keep the vehicle beyond 100K, then I would recommend:

BMW Synthetic 5W30 (from dealer or online) every 5K - 7.5K

or

Red Line Synthetic 5W30 every 7.5K

Don't skimp on wally world equivalents unless LL-01 spec. Put quality oil in quality car...Chef K

I've been using Redline 5W30 with 8K mile intervals in my N20 (Z4 28i) since I got it used in early 2015. (3 changes so far)
Sorry no Blackstone test yet. Personal preference for the Redline handling the higher temps. from the turbo.

Make sure you get the correct OEM filter when ordering from the online BMW suppliers. There is a paper filter with silicone wafer on the bottom for PLASTIC housings only. I got one of those using my VIN but have the aluminum oil filter housing. Not compatible.

Originally Posted By: elfhearse
I've been using Redline 5W30 with 8K mile intervals in my N20 (Z4 28i) since I got it used in early 2015. (3 changes so far)
Sorry no Blackstone test yet. Personal preference for the Redline handling the higher temps. from the turbo.

Make sure you get the correct OEM filter when ordering from the online BMW suppliers. There is a paper filter with silicone wafer on the bottom for PLASTIC housings only. I got one of those using my VIN but have the aluminum oil filter housing. Not compatible.

How is Redline doing in your opinion compare to BMW OEM (if you used it at all)?

Quote:
How is Redline doing in your opinion compare to BMW OEM

I changed out the factory fill when I bought the Z4 (used with 6K miles) and started using the RL 5W30. Didn't have the OEM fill in for long but comparing it to the Redline, oil temp. is now about 10-15°F cooler based on the gauge reading.

I get the RL by the case when it comes up on sale @ Racerpartswholesale so it isn't too extreme of a cost increase.

Local dealership "noticed" that I haven't had any oil changes even though I reset the oil change service every oil change. I explained to the service writer that I prefer the Redline oil at 8K miles over latest BMW oil favorite @ 10K miles. The gave me a new set of free wipers....guess they felt bad.

Originally Posted By: elfhearse
Quote:
How is Redline doing in your opinion compare to BMW OEM

I changed out the factory fill when I bought the Z4 (used with 6K miles) and started using the RL 5W30. Didn't have the OEM fill in for long but comparing it to the Redline, oil temp. is now about 10-15°F cooler based on the gauge reading.

I get the RL by the case when it comes up on sale @ Racerpartswholesale so it isn't too extreme of a cost increase.

Local dealership "noticed" that I haven't had any oil changes even though I reset the oil change service every oil change. I explained to the service writer that I prefer the Redline oil at 8K miles over latest BMW oil favorite @ 10K miles. The gave me a new set of free wipers....guess they felt bad.

Yeah, apparently lower oil temp is common to Redline. Probably Easters transfer heat faster.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Yeah, apparently lower oil temp is common to Redline. Probably Easters transfer heat faster.

And, theoretically, lower friction. I keep going back and forth on using it in my fiance's R56 Mini with the BMW N16 engine.

Last edited:

And, theoretically, lower friction. I keep going back and forth on using it in my fiance's R56 Mini with the BMW N16 engine.

How is it working?

How is it working?

It isn't due for an oil change for another 4k miles. It currently has Motul 5W-30 X-clean from the previous owner. The car has been on a 5k mile OCI its whole life. Things are exceptionally clean under the valve cover.

How is it working?

It isn't due for an oil change for another 4k miles. It currently has Motul 5W-30 X-clean from the previous owner. The car has been on a 5k mile OCI its whole life. Things are exceptionally clean under the valve cover.

I am on 5K cycle for all my cars.

If I had a choice between 0W-20 and 5W-30, with both being certified, I would chose 5W-30 any day. The gas mileage increase going to 0W-20 just isn't worth the reduced wear protection in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
No you've got it backwards. BMW claims less engine wear with the 0W-20.

BMW also claims ATF, gear oil, coolant, and xfer case fluids are "lifetime" fluids... With all do respect, I take their claims with a grain of salt.

Been scratching around for their technical papers on the issue and come up empty handed...it's certainly not what Honda and Toyota state in their tech papers...Only thing I've found from BMW are ads.

Here's a Fuchs Advertising puff piece...
http://www.generaloils.net/2014-02-12_AIS-InfoFuchs_TITAN-GT1-EVO-0W-20_EN.PDF

Quote:
Doesn’t a viscosity of SAE 0W-20 automatically cause higher wear? Contrary to the generally widespread opinion that a low (HTHS) viscosity leads to massive engine wear, our TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 could prove in several tests that this must not be the case at all.

Not quite a claim of "less wear"...

It then goes on to claim that they pass the industry wear tests...comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back