Visiting Hudson Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Anyone do it?

Fort Rupert, Fort George, or Polar Bear Provincial Park...

Get all of the Gordon Lightfoot albums on my phone and drive... Civilized until some point then??

Id be looking to do it in the summertime.

Anyone do it? Try it?

Anything Id need to know? Im guessing a true full size spare is a must...

I know CP Rail is another option from Toronto or Montreal. Ive taken long-distance trains before...

Thanks!

You can get a good part of the way, but the last bit is always by air.

Bug spray, lots and you need to fly in the last leg of the trip, no roads. I believe they say up there if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes it will change.

Last edited:
Interesting. We were looking at Google maps, which indicates some sort of surface way (assuming google is accurate which it is not always, and assuming they are roads and not dirt trails or why knows what).

VIA rail seems to go to Churchill, which is pretty far up there. Not sure what else is up there though!

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains

The two cities you mentioned are reachable by road. No idea on the road conditions though.

The park is a fly in by air deal though - and I don't think its really oriented at tourists...

Most folks here when they think of Hudson Bay think of Churchill. Fly in or rail only - no roads. Though you already found that...

Rail is expensive. If you do try some of the "roads" up north, and of course, that's assuming that there are roads where Google thinks there is, you're best off carrying more than one spare.

LOL... Driving to Thompson and then rail to Churchill is looking like the best bet by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back