Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried them? I like the speed rating. Tired of 65MPH rated ST tires.

Uh oh. Here comes everybody saying how *unsafe* it is to toe a trailer over 65 mph...

I had them on my old horse trailer. No flats or problems. I wanted a 10-ply trailer tire in 15 inch and they were the only ones I could find locally in 10-ply. Most were 8 ply in 15 in trailer tires.

They get good reviews on the RV sites. Our Open Range came with 75 MPH WestLakes which, while Chinese made tires seem to get good reviews as well.

I actually like Carlisle tires. I have towed thousands of miles at their max capacity and haven't had a lick of problems. Old tires and sunlight are your enemies.

I had 4 new (10 ply 15's) Carlisles on a new 2009 trailer and was under weight by almost 1K

3 blew in under 5K miles.

I wouldn't whizz on the Carlisle factory to stop it from burning.

UD

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Uh oh. Here comes everybody saying how *unsafe* it is to toe a trailer over 65 mph...

I didn't know trailer tires had a speed rating.

I was actually looking at some Carlisle trailer tires on Amazon for my spare. Way cheaper than the Chinese 8 plys I bought last year.

I have a 5,500 pound-30 foot travel trailer. I purchased the Carlisle RH tires (4) in Florida-ran them up the east coast to Maine, and then back out to Salt Lake City without issues. Then we took a trip from Salt Lake to Yellowstone as well. They are 3 years old-I will run them this summer and replace them next Spring.

Hope this helps.

Just so everyone understands:

ST tires have as part of the tire standard a speed limitation of 65 mph. As a tire engineer, I take that to mean that the load/speed/inflation pressure relationship - the physics of the situation - mean the tire is bound by the laws of physics to 65 mph and the load table as published.

I note that there are notes to the load table that allow for higher speeds IF - and I take that to mean if and only if - the inflation pressure is increased and if the load is reduced. This makes perfect sense to my understanding of the way tires work.

HOWEVER, I am willing to concede that a tire manufacturer COULD produce a tire that has a higher speed capability than the standards call for.

- BUT -

It is also my understanding that if a tire manufacturer tested a tire that has a speed limitation of 65 mph, they SHOULD get a speed some steps higher than 65 mph (J speed rating) resulting in a tire that could be advertised as an L speed rating (75 mph). It is quite possible that the speed rating could be higher than L and still suffer from the same problems that are widely reported for other brands that do not.

So I take all this with a grain of salt.

I am of the opinion that the real source of trailer tire issues is the trailer manufacturers who a) specify minimal tires, and b) do not feel the need to track tire performance after manufacture. That results in a situation where poorly performing tires are continued to be spec'd - and fail!

So, yes, I think that trailer tires are unsafe at speeds above 65 mph unless the inflation pressure and loads to adjusted according to the tire standard - AND - the buying public is ill served by this situation.

The problem with trailer tires is quite simple: they are built like garbage. Unfortunately, many trailers simply cannot run LT tires...either the size is not available or the load rating is too low. (Having said that, I would trust most LT tires at 110% of their rated weight more than most ST tires at 75%.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The problem with trailer tires is quite simple: they are built like garbage. Unfortunately, many trailers simply cannot run LT tires...either the size is not available or the load rating is too low. (Having said that, I would trust most LT tires at 110% of their rated weight more than most ST tires at 75%.)
I wonder why major tire manufacturers don't make trailer tires?

I have a truck-bed trailer. It isn't real heavy duty, it's a 4x8 flat trailer with a 2012 Dodge Ram 8' bed bolted to it.

I just use car tires in 235/75-15. They're even P rated, rated to hold 2,100 pounds per tire. They'll never be over 50% of their capacity.

Well and good...the same size built as a trailer would probably use 4.80-10 or 4.80-12 tires...MAYBE ST175/80D13C, but probably not.

My car trailer runs a size and load rating not available in anything BUT a trailer tire.

Well and good...the same size built as a trailer would probably use 4.80-10 or 4.80-12 tires...MAYBE ST175/80D13C, but probably not.

My car trailer runs a size and load rating not available in anything BUT a trailer tire.
No room for a little wider for a LT tire? Maybe there's wheels with a little offset

I had them on my camping trailer and had no issues. Keep an eye on your inflation pressures and don't overload the axles.
When cracks appear on sidewalls, replace.

No room for a little wider for a LT tire? Maybe there's wheels with a little offset

Needs an ST225/75D15 in a load range D...and a 225/75R16 truck tire won't clear. (It's a tandem axle and they would touch.)

Some trailers run TRULY weird sizes: ST185/80D13 load range D, anyone?

Needs an ST225/75D15 in a load range D...and a 225/75R16 truck tire won't clear. (It's a tandem axle and they would touch.)

I looked on Tirerack, the diameter of a 225/75-15 trailer tire is 28.3", a 225/75-16 LT Load range E tire is 29.3". So only 1/2" larger in each direction. It might depend on how far your tires are from each other currently. If there was 2" I'd consider it, but sounds like they're already really close. The LT tires are also rated for more weight than a trailer tire too.

http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-bed-measurements-guide.html

2012 Dodge Ram:

Inside Length - 96.375"
Inside Width (Cab) - 65.5"
Inside Width (Tailgate) - 62.063"

Virtually all trailers at this size from NATM manufacturers are going to run a single 3500lb. axle & ST205/75R15.

I looked on Tirerack, the diameter of a 225/75-15 trailer tire is 28.3", a 225/75-16 LT Load range E tire is 29.3". So only 1/2" larger in each direction. It might depend on how far your tires are from each other currently. If there was 2" I'd consider it, but sounds like they're already really close. The LT tires are also rated for more weight than a trailer tire too.

I don't have the clearance between axles...I'd have to look to be sure, but I recall I have barely an inch and a quarter with the 15s on it. (Currently Tow Masters.) Even if I did...I would need to dig up four 5-lug, 16x6" wheels rated for 2700lbs and 80psi.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I am of the opinion that the real source of trailer tire issues is the trailer manufacturers who a) specify minimal tires, and b) do not feel the need to track tire performance after manufacture. That results in a situation where poorly performing tires are continued to be spec'd - and fail!

I wonder if most trailer manufacturers are in a position to actually test their trailers. I'm guessing profit margins are decent but competition is fierce. And testing a trailer to failure is probably an expensive test. Easier to say "the table says it's good to go, what do you mean, I need to derate in order to be conservative and account for all conditions?"

I don't have the clearance between axles...I'd have to look to be sure, but I recall I have barely an inch and a quarter with the 15s on it. (Currently Tow Masters.) Even if I did...I would need to dig up four 5-lug, 16x6" wheels rated for 2700lbs and 80psi.

What are you actually trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back