Subaru Oil Burning Class Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed I could get then out from under the car easier, as they are under the leading edge of the windscreen. I never attempted
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
1/3rd quart in 1200 miles!?

Toyota is getting away with saying that THREE times that is just fine every 1200 miles....
No, about three times that much every 600 miles (or 1 liter per 1000 km, to be more exact).

Per the settlement agreement the lawyers for the complainant (a class action) are getting fees not to exceed one million dollars. The losses to Subaru could be staggering. If your car exceeds the agreed on oil consumption rate, Subaru will rebuild the motor. In most cases settled so far the fix has been a new short block vs a re-ring job. My 2012 Impreza (a covered vehicle) consumed one qt in 1800 miles on a recent trip. Rather than go through the testing and rebuild headaches I traded it in before it's resale value took a big hit.

How the heck do you prove that your car had that kind of usage unless you did all your oil changes at a service shop who also did all your top offs? Or is all you have to do is to do your next OCI at a shop, verify the result, then collect your "winnings?" What if that shows low usage? Do it again?

Subaru will do a test if you believe you are having an oil consumption issue. They check the oil level and then seal the dip stick and drain plug. You drive the car for a specific mileage and then they check it. They were charging for this test which was upsetting a lot of people experiencing the consumption problem. The test will be more or less free under the settlement. Those people that paid for the test in the past will be reimbursed.

The most annoying part of this issue is that the low oil light seemed to come on frequently. When you checked the oil level (as a result of the light) it was usually above the mid point between the high and low marks on the dip stick. To bring it to the full mark only required 6 to 8 oz. of oil. The oil level sensor seemed to be overly sensitive to any oil loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back