Free Riding Mower Needs a Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the carb off my sons mower today(Briggs) because the engine was surging. I simply took the carb apart, cleaned with carb cleaner, and blew out the all the holes with air. Put it back together and it runs great. I did install a fuel filter to prevent contaminates from getting into the carb. Cost less than $5.

I am happy to report the new carb went on and after a quick warmup to clear the fuel leftover and oil change I was mowing grass. It powered through some thick grass with ease and left a cut better than any riding mower I've owned. $120 and an hour of my time invested I think it's well worth it. I do know not to put my beer in the cupholder; gets a little too foamy for my liking
grin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Max-13-HP-4-Stroke-Gas-Powered-390-CC-Engine-MPN-Model-6787-/131720937447?hash=item1eab2dffe7:g:LQEAAOSwcvdXOf5p

Not sure if this would work but shop around and you can find something that will.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Max-13-HP-4-Stroke-Gas-Powered-390-CC-Engine-MPN-Model-6787-/131720937447?hash=item1eab2dffe7:g:LQEAAOSwcvdXOf5p

Not sure if this would work but shop around and you can find something that will.

Well the OP fixed his problem a couple of weeks ago. And no, the engine you posted will absolutely not fit. Plus the shaft is all wrong.

fh6r9t9SU2MvczG1Mrxc_Confused%20Ice%20Cube%20THUMB.jpg

Originally Posted By: spk2000
For that price i would opt for a new motor. Subaru or Honda would be best but cost more. Then you don't have to worry about the cost of the next part that goes.

That Briggs will last as long as any Honda or Subaru. It's all in the maintenance. I've got an old Briggs 3.5hp that was ran without oil. Locked up the engine completely. Broke the pull rope trying to start it. I soaked the piston in PB. Got it to move in the bore. Fired it up - 22 years ago. Still going strong and no smoke. Starts on the first pull.

slomo

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: Delta
Dug a little bit into it, the choke does not appear to be sticking. The spark plug was all wet from fuel as well as the intake tube having fuel in it. New carb will be ordered today so I can put it on next weekend.

Your carb is leaking and needs to be replaced. I had the same problem on my rider. I spent all sorts of time an effort trying to fix it. Finally gave up and replaced it. In the process, I put a shut off valve and a filter in the fuel line. If this one fails, I will do the same thing again.

I looked up your model, that is one of the more expensive models, still, it's a free mower.

From Amazon:
Quote:
Briggs & Stratton 590400 Carburetor Replaces #796078
by Briggs & Stratton
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 customer reviews
Price: $96.80 Free Shipping for Prime Members
+ $7.02 estimated tax
Earn 3% Back (worth $2.90 when redeemed) with your Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card. Learn more
In Stock.
Want it tomorrow, May 5? Order within 4 hrs 58 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Briggs & Stratton 590400
New OEM Carburetor
Genuine Briggs & Stratton Part
Replaces Old Briggs #796078

Listen to this guy. Install a fuel filter and fuel shutoff valve on EVERY OPE engine.

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back