Using P/S fluid in a system that takes ATF ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad replaced the p/s line on my brothers 1991 Ranger. I know it calls for ATF so we have been using Type F to keep it topped off, but I noticed that he refilled the system with Napa P/S fluid. Will this damage the system in any way? I started it up for him and turned the wheel and it has the "normal" Ford p/s whine that it had before, it may be a bit quieter now that its full on fluid though. Just checking with the experts!

Im not sure if it will be that big of a deal, and I really dont think it would warrant draining and filling the entire system again.

But if it was me, I would just start passively changing it out via turkey baster in the PS reservoir.

Just pull a measured amount out, add some ATF, drive for a while, repeat every couple days until you are satisfied.

Good luck!

For ten years I used the turkey baster method of replacing my power steering fluid each time I changed my oil on my 05 F150. Never used ATF, just over the counter ps fluid. Nary a problem.

If you want to get rid of the whine , get some Amsoil atf and a baster. Do it 2-3 times over a month or so. That stuff fixed several loud ford and Toyota PS pumps I have had and never had a problem again. Its worth the $10.

Originally Posted By: chad8
If you want to get rid of the whine , get some Amsoil atf and a baster. Do it 2-3 times over a month or so. That stuff fixed several loud ford and Toyota PS pumps I have had and never had a problem again. Its worth the $10.

x2.

I have been able to quite down whines/moans and groans in the past by switching to higher end fluids or using additives in the power steering system.

The PS pump in my dodge used to make some moans and groans. I changed the factory ATF in the PS system at 75k miles with some RP ATF and now you wont hear a thing!

I have also seen people supplement the PS fluid with some MMO. Say what you will, but it worked almost instantly!

Food for thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back