Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nevermind. I see it is mentioning the availability of 16.04 LTS now and asking me if I want to upgrade.

I am in no rush though. For my purposes, I could stay on 14.04 LTS until support expires. I'll wait at least 6 months, just to give them the opportunity to work out any remaining bugs.
smile.gif

Canonical will release "point" releases; eg. 16.04.1 that essentially wrap up security updates and bug fixes. More conservative users tend to wait until the first point release to jump on board. The first one is often about 6 months after the LTS release.

Just download 16.04 for a Compaq Presario A900 dual core - 3GB. It was inherited so free. Came with Vista.. junk! Tried installing Windows 7 and wasted alot of time trying to get it to update and 10 wouldn't install. Going to give this a whirl. Have been using a Lenovo quad core from work.. heavy and complete pain to use with all it's security uhh features.

All my needs are class related, although I've already finished most of my programming classes. I currently use a virtual Win7 on VirtualBox via the Mac for that purpose. Going to try the same. Citrix receiver is number 2 for work. Hopefully everything just works.

I had a 14.04 LTS install on a USB flash drive. Upgraded it to 16.04 last night. The upgrade went smoothly. Took about half hour or so. Not really seeing much difference from 14.04 though.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Canonical will release "point" releases; eg. 16.04.1 that essentially wrap up security updates and bug fixes. More conservative users tend to wait until the first point release to jump on board. The first one is often about 6 months after the LTS release.

Yeah, currently the way to have 14.04 LTS show you the 16.04 LTS update is to run "update-manager -d" command, as it is still being considered a development release and advises you not to install it on production environments.

Like you stated, they will wait until 16.04.1 comes out before it's considered production ready. Ubuntu wiki says 16.04.1 should come out in 3 months.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I had a 14.04 LTS install on a USB flash drive. Upgraded it to 16.04 last night. The upgrade went smoothly. Took about half hour or so. Not really seeing much difference from 14.04 though.

You won't see a lot of differences until you try to install, say Flash or Google Chrome browser. Small PITA to do that, although I have done it. It was much easier in 14.04. Calculator is somewhat different.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
(mint devs aren't super sharp on this, fiddling unnecessarily).

For a few examples I can think of, Mint developers should have someone standing above them with a yardstick to crack them across the knuckles before they fiddle with something that already works just fine, since they're terribly likely to break it.

My upgrade failed and possibly screwed up the install. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
(mint devs aren't super sharp on this, fiddling unnecessarily).

For a few examples I can think of, Mint developers should have someone standing above them with a yardstick to crack them across the knuckles before they fiddle with something that already works just fine, since they're terribly likely to break it.

Especially since Mint's entire raison d'etre is as a contrast to Ubuntu developers messing up stuff that already worked.

I wish Mint's Debian edition was more popular and received more attention from the developers. Bypassing Ubuntu in this scenario, I cannot help but think, would improve Mint: Take the .deb's, make minimal modifications to make the desktop a better experience, release to world.

I gave a developer a blast just recently for relegating my bug report on secure boot being broken as "Invalid." I don't care what they say in their release notes that secure boot should be turned off. It worked before, and making it so it doesn't work now is backwards.

The average Joe who want to try a Linux distro for the first time is very likely to try something like Mint, which is supposed to be easy with respect to codecs and the like. He doesn't need to be trying to figure out how to disable secure boot to get his system running.

Then there was the foolishness of having certain applications' working directories somehow be root for no discernible reason, which completely broke encryption. I'm not sure if that problem originated with Ubuntu around the same time, or if someone in Mint messed it up.

I do know around the same time, at least one version of Ubuntu was having issues with certain temporary directories being root only, creating havoc with the periodic disk check. Their solution was to turn of the disk check. The people in Quebec offering IP camera software on Ubuntu had no idea that this problem was affecting their servers, either. But, they need to learn a few other things about Linux, some problems of their own making.

I just installed Xubuntu 16.04 on my nForce 680i SLI lt with an E2200 and GeForce 9500. Seems to run quick and smooth so far.

So I foolishly upgraded my media PC from 14.04 to 16.04.1 today. I am already regretting it. My external USB drive where all my media sits is no longer visible. It doesn't even show up on running fdisk -l command, so I don't know how to mount it.

And so obviously now my Plex server and Logitech Media Server are useless. Ugh...

OK, it seems I had to tinker with my fstab file to make this drive visible/mountable again.

And I had to reinstall Plex and Logitech Media Server because they were not auto-starting as they used to.

Other than that, I think I'm back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back