Neglected Can Am Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody on here have one of these? My good friend bought one new in 2011. It only had less than 700 miles on it, he said, when he went to prison. He got 20 years. He won't be released until 2028. We still talk and I send him money to get by. He ended up telling me if I want the Can am to take it, so my wife is heading up to pick it up in Pennsylvania in June. It's been sitting in a unheated barn for 5 years and I can guarantee it was just parked, shut off and it has been sitting there. Since he got separated from it quite abruptly. Not at all familiar with these things but can't wait to see it. Like a barn find, sort of. Anybody familiar with these, what kind of mess you think I am in for??

You'll need a battery, tires, all fluids (including brake fluid & coolant), and probably other stuff. But worth grabbing, I'd say.

Note: you DO need a MC license for a Spyder. Also, make sure you can get the title.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Note: you DO need a MC license for a Spyder. Also, make sure you can get the title.

Not necessarily, it depends on where you live. For example, here in Quebec, a motorcycle license is not needed. Moral of the story: check your local regs.

His lawyer is taking care of the title and is mailing it to me. I ll get insurance on it. That's why it's taking a month. I am thinking the tires may be OK. It was inside and out of the sun. The tires are only 5 years old. I am thinking battery, new oil change and new fuel. I am also thinkng the coolant and brake fluid is good to go. It didnt really get any use. I ll know nore when I examine it. Iam hoping the fuel injection will be fine. Iam more worried about mice eating wires. I heard Can am electronics are not forgiving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mik
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Not necessarily, it depends on where you live. For example, here in Quebec, a motorcycle license is not needed. Moral of the story: check your local regs.

You need a MC license (or a trike licence, which some states have) for a Can-Am everywhere except Delaware and California.

I'd pull the engine over a bit by hand or push before starting.
It'll obviously need a battery and the brake calipers may be sticky.
Other than that, I'd bet she's good to go.
Where is your friend doing time?
I work in the biz and PA would be okay while FL would be less so.
Nobody gets twenty in state time for nothing, so your friend probably killed someone, although the circumstances are often ambiguous and people are wrongly convicted now and then.
Twenty would be tough to look at any way you slice it.

Depending on which model, you may or may not be able to push to turn the engine over. Manual or SE5 model? It's a 998 VTwin Rotax motor. A shear monster, reducing every oil I've tried to a 30 weight in 2-2500 miles. Can Am wants a 5w40... Fugettaboutit. Grab a 10w40 or even a 15w40 and keep it changed. Delvac was toast in mine after 3k, Valvoline MC oil (3x 10w40 and 1x 20w50) was OK, a heavy 30 after 3k. You'll need either one or 2 filters, again, depends on model.
I'd leave the coolant. It's a bear to change, the radiator drains have a bad habit of breaking. Brake fluid might be OK. Drain the tank, refill with fresh premium. Factory batteries are gel type, get the same, they last just fine. I'm on my 4th year on mine.
Tires on Amazon, only 2 selections, Vee Rubber Arachnid and factory Kenda. Vee Rubber gets the nod here, based on price, they will last about as long.
Lots of fun to ride, but if you are currently on 2 wheels, it takes a bit to master it. Think ATV or snowmobile steering, no lean, push right go left. You do need an MC license, as stated. Some states don't know what to do when you show up on one to test.
Good luck, dress for the crash, not the ride... Jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots.

Will need a battery, not sure on tires looks for cracks in the sidewall and bring a tire pump. Take it to a BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) dealer, and get the fluids changed. Have the dealer connect it to the computer and due all the updates (there will be many after 5 years) This should get you started.

http://www.brp.com/en-us/customer-service

My wife has one of these. Change the oil and filter(s), battery, check the tires for cracks. Brake and cooling systems should be OK as it was stored inside and they are of course sealed systems. Probably will have to drain the fuel, add some Seafoam. Watch the oil level, my wife's machine uses about 8-10 ounces every 1500 miles.

My wife loves hers, while I have driven it I prefer 2 wheels by a wide margin. By the way I have found it to be a PIA to work on...

He was a major drug kingpin for a multi state drug ring. Pretty much ran across the United States. It was a federal case. He has been in Several federal prisons in the last four years, he now resides in Fort Dix, New Jersey. The feds confiscated ALOT. Which makes me a big advocate that police agencies should never, under any circumstances be able to confiscate personal property of American citizens. I think it is fundamentally wrong and leads to corruptions. I am sure Police or relatives of police ended up with some nice late model SUVs and sports cars plus RVs. We have been friends since kids, he is a year younger than me. He will be almost 60 when he gets out.

You are going to trailer it back I assume?
I bet its in decent shape if the humidity was reasonable. Lots of bombardier sleds sit of a few years in a barn and just get fresh gas and off they go, so I'd assume its built pretty well.

lemme get your math straight...

He got 20 years and will be out in 2028.
The bike is a 2011...

So he bought a 2011 in 2008?

confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

The bike is a 2011...

confused.gif

The police already confiscated the Delorean
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

The bike is a 2011...

confused.gif

He will likely get out after doing 80% of his time. I had a relative who was busted for heroin trafficking and as long as you keep your nose clean you almost always get parole after serving 4/5 of your sentence.

Yes it's coming back on a trailer with a 1984 Honda 250R he had too. He is up for early release in 2028. He will probably get it. He is actually really smart guy and teaching algebra in prison. He was a non volient offender so he will probably get out then. Still after 15+ years in a barn, I think that thing would be toast. I think it's a 2011. It may be older or newer. Still has less tha n 800 miles. He has been in 5 years.

1984 Honda 250R three wheeler two stroke with the factory gold wheels. Nice original condition with all the factory stickers on it. I saw it last time I was up there it was nice. He also has some Nice 350X three wheelers. I am only bringing back, or my wife is, the Spyder and 250R. I switched jobs and dont have vacation time built up yet to take the time to go up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back