Mustang fails Australian police trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
How do people take them on the track without overheating?

Quote:

the car’s automatic transmission, which is a requirement for police vehicles, overheated after just three minutes of intense driving.

There's your problem. Anyone who takes this to a road course likely has a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
There's been cases of track driven Fiesta St's going into limp mode from overheating. Some street driven in long grades in hot climates also.

I know there are larger, aftermarket intercoolers available, but what about larger/more tubes, drop-in, aftermarket, ALL alloy, radiators??

I ask because I plan on buying one of these soon.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mustang is for girls to pose in, and the fiesta is a shopping trolley.

M5s and Evos are the best fit in this context.

A GT350R will run circles around BOTH of those choices, stock for stock, off of the showroom floor, around any road course, regardless of whether a "girl" is driving it or not..
wink.gif
19.gif

And one cannot even buy one of your beloved Evos new, off of a showroom floor anymore anyway.
They will gradually disappear, just like the deified Supra MKIV TTs did, as all of the tunerz eventually destroy the remaining older copies.

There's been cases of track driven Fiesta St's going into limp mode from overheating. Some street driven in long grades in hot climates also.

When I took delivery of my 135i in July 2010, at the Performance Center, we were putting M5s into limp mode from hard driving in SC heat!

Didn't take much either!

So I can see that if this test is driving like an idiot in order to catch an idiot, it could put some severe stresses on the drivetrain... And idling, though not under load, probably heat soaks everything pretty good too..

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

When I took delivery of my 135i in July 2010, at the Performance Center, we were putting M5s into limp mode from hard driving in SC heat!

Didn't take much either!

So I can see that if this test is driving like an idiot in order to catch an idiot, it could put some severe stresses on the drivetrain... And idling, though not under load, probably heat soaks everything pretty good too..

BMW at that time was all about electric water pumps. I think they solved that later. N54 engine also did same thing in CA deserts when tested in 335i. In N55 that was not an issue.
It is telling that new B58 3.0 twin scroll turbo from BMW has good old mechanical water pump that is run by belt.

Last edited:
Also, if you think back to older police models, like the foxbody 5.0, they may have reached "overheating" temperature just as soon, but had no "nanny's" to prevent it.

usually police models are upgraded for this exact reason - larger radiators and trans coolers, oil coolers, different gearing, brakes. No one ever said a stock Mustang was capable of Police duty.

Recent AMG Mercedes were said to have overheating issues when pushed for a short length of time, and as an upgrade (something like $3k) they would install better cooling.

Also keep in mind that the Mustang has a "performance pack" option that increases cooling capacity. These cars may be equipped with that though as I think all EU GTs include this. BUT EU GTs dont include the heat extracting hood vents, which were added to keep temps in check.

ALSO, even after all of this, I have a hard time believing it limp moded after just 3 minutes. There are plenty of supercharged S550s running around without this issue, i've even seen half mile/mile car cars tearing it up with no problems.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I know there are larger, aftermarket intercoolers available, but what about larger/more tubes, drop-in, aftermarket, ALL alloy, radiators??

wink.gif

Depo has the best price on intercooler. Pretty much a COBB for half the price. I bought an MTC from england for $370 shipped. Same thing as COBB. Mishimoto makes a replacement radiator and oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

Depo has the best price on intercooler. Pretty much a COBB for half the price. I bought an MTC from england for $370 shipped. Same thing as COBB. Mishimoto makes a replacement radiator and oil cooler.

THANKS!
thumbsup2.gif

Can the Mishimoto stuff be trusted, being manufactured in China (i.e.; do they have hawk-like QC supervisors overseeing their plants there)??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back