So many detailing products........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the oil industry, in the detailing world there are no industry standard tests so with each product you try, you really don't know what you're getting. It seems with all detailing products, it's by word of mouth or reputation.

Trial and error for me. I tried many diff products , some I liked, some not so much. In the end, I'm all about Nu Finish

Nah just a general observation. I usually read reviews on detaling sites and sites like Autogeek etc.
smile.gif

Most brands are just relabelers. They are more similarities between products than you'd like to believe.

Most of these smaller boutique brands have very little R&D resources. They also have a very limited budget for testing. So as usual, buyer beware.

Detailing supplies are the equivalent of cosmetics for guys.

Lots of unverified claims, but plenty of promises of secret formulations, special ingredients and extraordinary properties to attract users.

There are the "department store" brands which are fine, but to feel truly special, it's gotta be one that is only available online, and must be ordered.

Give it a exotic name, fancy packaging, and high price, and it may do even better.

I've been trying out many products lately, with mixed results.

Meguiar's D114 and D156 are stand out products by them. I have some D115 on the way with high hopes. D114 will clean nearly everything depending on dilution ratio. Even can work as a clay lube, glass cleaner, wheel cleaner, interiors, etc.

I caught a really good sale on several Chemical Guys products and they are generally good. The Signature Series Orange Degreaser was a surprise stand out. Much better than Meguiars D108 and Simple Green Pro HD. 1:6 for engines is great, while 1:15 makes for a very good interior cleaner.

303 is making good stuff. The multisurface cleaner is far better than anything else I've used at cleaning low pile microfiber upholstery. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Speed detailer is also a very good product. Great for kitchen appliances as well.

Always try to go "off label". Meguiars gold class car wash has made for a very good wheel and fender cleaner at 1:32 (still playing with the dilution). No high pH chemistry that is normally found in APC or degreaser and much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Trial and error for me. I tried many diff products , some I liked, some not so much. In the end, I'm all about Nu Finish

Then you couldn't have tried too many products...there are most definitely better products than Nufinish...

I'm no professional but read reviews at autogeek dot net and made a few purchases.

I found a few items I LOVE and just continue to use them.

I highly recommend Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. It's so easy to apply and remove and lasts a solid 4 months in harsh Chicago Winters and Hot sweaty summers. It may last longer but I usually reapply every 3-4 months.

I'm also a big fan of rinse less wash (any brand works) for winters (in my garage)

Cobra Clay mitt (clay your car in half the time with rinse less wash)

Tarminator- is the absolute best bug and tar remover I have EVER used!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back