Grease on door seals and glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was getting a little seal noise on my 135, so I applied some Honda shin etsu grease, which cured it right away.

Doing so, I got some grease on the glass-seal interface (frameless windows).

When I bought my new accord hybrid, I was surprised to see that the window seal was greased, and it had (still has actually) a grease line on the glass where it picks it up from the seal.

The issue with either of these is when you wish to clean the windows - smeared silicone grease is not pleasant.

So, for anyone who uses some light silicone grease to condition seals, do you apply it where the seals contact glass?

Black magic tire shine, I have been using it on anything vinyl, rubber and plastic since I first tried it in the middle 1990s.

I use Sil-Glyde (poor man's Shin-etsu) on my door/window/sunroof seals 1x year. It soaks in fairly quickly and does not leave enough surface residue to be an issue in this regard after a very few days. Shin Etsu should be the same.

If it is not soaking in, likely because the seal itself is new and less porous, and the grease is over-applied.

Not the best photo, but you can still see it from the factory on my accord (built 06/15).

F28B3459-CFE7-47A0-ADC4-E56CDEF1F9D4_zpsa43gn6vt.jpg

Hmm, that would be annoying. I see clearly what you mean from the photo.

I have never used the Shin-etsu. I guess it migrates a lot more than the Sil-Glyde. I imagine if you clean it a few times it well stop doing that, but you'll still have enough in the gasket ("glass run" as Toyota calls it) to solve the noise.

Last edited:
I used to use the 3M Silicone Grease on squeaky parts of the door seal. The same one Eric The Guy Car recommends for brake work. Now I just use quick wax. I don't specifically spray it. It's the Wax-as-u-Dry that I spray on door jams. I end up also wiping the door seals and find it better, since I end up wiping off dirt off the seals every time I wash the car... and it also works just as well at reducing squeaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back