BMW X1 / N20 2.0L Turbo - what oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey @ll,

What juice for the N20 motor ?

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

Car mainly sees highway miles every day with little bit of the city.

Does anyone know how much oil it takes.

thx

What year is it? What does the owner's manual say? The latest ones call for that new BMW LL-14FE+ spec, don't they?

Is the car still under warranty? None of the oils you mentioned carry the BMW spec.

The current M1 0w40 (branding now has "FS") no longer carries the BMW LL-01 certification, so I would be careful running that in a car that's under warranty. I'm sure it's still perfectly fine to use, but I wouldn't want to get into that argument with BMW if the car had to go in for warranty service.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hey @ll,

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

thx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your maintenance included for a time?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Hey @ll,

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

thx

I'm guessing his past the warranty/free maintenance period now.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What year is it? What does the owner's manual say? The latest ones call for that new BMW LL-14FE+ spec, don't they?

Is the car still under warranty? None of the oils you mentioned carry the BMW spec.

I'd use whatever oil meets the required specification regardless of warranty or not. I know you weren't necessarily suggesting otherwise but there's a reason the manufacturer specifies a specification and that reason doesn't expire along with the warranty. I know in this case (with BMW LL-01 FE+) a lot arguing will ensue but unless there's a compelling reason to change I don't know why you would.

Hey @ll,

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

thx

Or he wants to do intermediate changes. Some folks don't like the long intervals.

A few BITOG'ers who I trust seem to recommend staying away from high calcium oils for turbo's....so an HDEO or HDEO-type oil (containing both Ca and Mg) might be the best bet.

Warranty free changes are 15K that's to long ... so that's why looking at alternative

Bingo

Originally Posted By: dparm
Hey @ll,

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

thx

Or he wants to do intermediate changes. Some folks don't like the long intervals.

thx guys!

I didn't know that Mobil lost BMW approval ...

thx guys!

I didn't know that Mobil lost BMW approval ...

Well if BMW LL-01 FE+ is what you need then I don't think any M1 oil ever had that spec.

And ESP has LL-04 so it's only LL-01 that is gone.

Hey @ll,

0w40 M1
5w30 M1 EP

thx

NONE!
M1 0W40 FS does not carry LL-01 approval yet.
M1 5W30 EP is NOT Euro specd. oil. If you are talking about M1 5W30 ESP, that is Low-SAPS (in U.S. diesel) oil that carries BMW LL-04 spec.
If you are looking for intermediate changes (you still have some free stuff left) I would go to dealership and get BMW OEM 5W30 LL-01 oil (it should be around $8 per bottle).
If that is not an option, best choice by far (and after free maintenance schedule is over) is first Wal Mart and pick up Castrol 0W40. Other option is Amazon where you can get Pennzoil Platinum 5W40.
Also, I would stay from LL-14FE since your engine is still LL-01 specd. in Europe. Personally I would not touch LL-14FE with a stick.

If it's AWD, 5.8 quarts.
If it's RWD, 5.3 quarts.

According to Amsoil.

As far as what oil to use, I'd use the readily available and inexpensive Castrol 0w-40, unless yours calls for that new LL-14FE+ spec.

Warranty free changes are 15K that's to long ... so that's why looking at alternative

This is absolutely the truth and the core issue. If you go to the dealer and request an early oil change, they will not reset the maintenance computer. It was explained to me that resetting the oil change resets everything, which includes brake life and other stuff. My car is a 2013 3 series and I ended up going in for an oil changed at 10K. The dealer replaced the brake fluid. Think about that, the car needs brake fluid flush and fill before the first oil change! When I saw the receipt, I asked that they cgange the oil, which they did free of charger. Further screwing this up is that BMW lowered the OCI to 10,000 for the 2014 MY cars, without backdating the earlier cars (?). I love the car, and will be changing my oil at 7,500 miles moving forward and maybe resetting the maintenance minder every second change. (maybe 7,000 on the nose is the right OCI). BTW, I posted on this matter elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung

This is absolutely the truth and the core issue. If you go to the dealer and request an early oil change, they will not reset the maintenance computer. It was explained to me that resetting the oil change resets everything, which includes brake life and other stuff. My car is a 2013 3 series and I ended up going in for an oil changed at 10K. The dealer replaced the brake fluid. Think about that, the car needs brake fluid flush and fill before the first oil change! When I saw the receipt, I asked that they cgange the oil, which they did free of charger. Further screwing this up is that BMW lowered the OCI to 10,000 for the 2014 MY cars, without backdating the earlier cars (?). I love the car, and will be changing my oil at 7,500 miles moving forward and maybe resetting the maintenance minder every second change. (maybe 7,000 on the nose is the right OCI). BTW, I posted on this matter elsewhere.

Wait, can't you reset only one service, like oil?
On E70 I just did oil change and I reseted only oil service interval, but rest of intervals stayed the same, including brake fluid.

Ndx, what is your yearly usage like? My 2011 M3 says that the oil should be changed every 15,000 miles/24 months.

However, there is the special "low mileage" service bulletin that says it should be changed every year regardless of mileage if it's a low-use car. (think weekend cars or whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back