1999 RANGER 3.0 SYNTHETIC OIL SUGGESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had this 1999 Ranger with a 3.0 v6 and 5spd manual for a while now and I'm curious what some of you would recommend for it. I'm trying to go anywhere from 5,000 to 7,500 on the oci's and the engine has 138,xxx miles. I got it around 123k so not sure on the history. It's my daily driver and I don't tow or anything of that nature but I use every available RPM (I don't drive around even considering what my mpgs are lol). I went about 10k on Mobil 1 ?w-? (id collect the bottles of Mobil 1 0w20 5w20 and 5w30 that my techs used and drain them into a gallon jug and use that cause its free) and a NAPA Platinum filter but it was pretty dark and needed about a half quart top off (not bad actually)and I'm currently using Peak Full Syn 5w30 and a Prime Guard filter (got a free oil change from work, not the best quality oil for my preferences)

If you are trying to do anything less than 8k miles and are set on using synthetic, I would vote go with QSUD or Supertech synthetic or whatever the cheapest full synthetic around is in the weight recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. Probably 5w30.

I had a similar little Ranger truck at work. Around your mileage, it was getting a bit rattly under load at speed. You could tell because when it was on the rolling road Smog Check you could hear it across the yard. It was running OK, just getting a bit loose.

So I switched it up to Delo400LE 15W-40 and it went much quieter. Since I equate rattles and clicks with minor impact events that could maybe get through an oil film, I'm much happier with quieter engines.

That truck went to 258,000+ when it went off to auction running fine on Delo400. I was sort of sorry to see it go, but I was retiring anyway, so
smile.gif

The thing that made the biggest difference in performance was having a new cam position sensor installed at around 150K. Like the put a new engine in there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AUTOTECH89
So I've had this 1999 Ranger with a 3.0 v6 and 5spd manual for a while now and I'm curious what some of you would recommend for it. I'm trying to go anywhere from 5,000 to 7,500 on the oci's and the engine has 138,xxx miles. I got it around 123k so not sure on the history. It's my daily driver and I don't tow or anything of that nature but I use every available RPM (I don't drive around even considering what my mpgs are lol). I went about 10k on Mobil 1 ?w-? (id collect the bottles of Mobil 1 0w20 5w20 and 5w30 that my techs used and drain them into a gallon jug and use that cause its free) and a NAPA Platinum filter but it was pretty dark and needed about a half quart top off (not bad actually)and I'm currently using Peak Full Syn 5w30 and a Prime Guard filter (got a free oil change from work, not the best quality oil for my preferences)

Any Synthetic!

So far "any" seems to be the answer but considering I'm gonna keep this truck until the engine goes and I drive as aggressive as possible in every situation id like to know which brand would give the most longevity. The shop I manage stocks Quantum Full Syn and Full Syn High Mileage as well as Royal Purple with synerloc amd Castrol Edge. I can get the Castrol for 18 a gallon and Royal Purple for 12. the Quantum runs me about 8 bucks. I leaning towards Royal Purple with one of their filters since an oil change is only going to cost me 18 for 5qts and the filter. However if anyone has any UOA results that differ from this train of thought id be eager to see them.

A UOA isn't going to tell you much except whether there is any coolant intrusion into the oil, and perhaps how long the oil you pick may be suitable for continued use (TBN). Just do what has been suggested here (a name-brand oil of the appropriate grade) and it is going to last. Look at the vehicles in my signature. They've all been run on Mobil 1 (lately Castrol for the BMW) from Walmart.

The oil filter is relatively unimportant, do not be overly concerned about that. Neither is a "boutique" oil, if you want to use a synthetic then buy something at Walmart that's reasonably priced. Even Supertech synthetic is going to be more than adequate and will get you out to a very very long life (at least as far as the oil can offer).

I currently drive a 98' Ranger with a 3.0 automatic. I am a spirited driver also. It has the Cal. emissions stuff on it and I have replaced the cam sensor awhile back. I have been running Amsoil OE 0w-20 5-6,000 mi. presently 145,ish mi. I have enough oil for one more OCI. QSUD seems to be testing pretty good. I plan on running the 5w-20. Some report being able to run 10,000mi. on the OE, I would verify that with your own UOA.

Synthetic is NOT a magic word. I would especially avoid CHEAP syns (hydrcracked group III base) - they run worse in my cars than popular "conventional".
A moderate loss in lubricity of basestock does NOT make up for middling gains in oxidative stability, IMO.
Remember Conventional oil is NOT conventional anymore and most synthetic are NOT synthetic. Todays conventional must EXCEED a majority PAO synthetic test std oil for improved fuel mileage.

How confusing is that now.
Then, I am fool enough to expect that the jug of M10w20EP I just bought has 70% PAO base because the MSDS says so. Fool I am
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AUTOTECH89
So far "any" seems to be the answer but considering I'm gonna keep this truck until the engine goes and I drive as aggressive as possible in every situation id like to know which brand would give the most longevity.

If you want longevity, drive less aggressively. No magic motor oil can counter act constant abuse.

Also, there's no unequivocal evidence that one brand or type of oil makes engines last longer.

I hope you're not one of those D-bags that weaves in and out of traffic and tailgates people all the time.

Originally Posted By: maximus

If you want longevity, drive less aggressively. No magic motor oil can counter act constant abuse.

Yeah, back off on the RPM and you'll be fine w SuperTech dino for 7k OCIs. 17 year old 100k beaters don't last long when abused on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Yeah, back off on the RPM and you'll be fine w SuperTech dino for 7k OCIs. 17 year old 100k beaters don't last long when abused on a regular basis.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: bigt61

+1

You might consider the Ford recommended oil....Motorcraft 5w20 or 30.... Its a blend and estimated to be 50 to 60% synthetic (less tha $18 (5 qt. jug) at Walmart.

An OCI of 7500 should work.

And as suggested, back off the aggressive driving. Its hard on your engine, and can be a safety issue as well.

It's a Vulcan. The oil that can kill it hasn't been evented yet.

Their is no advantage to anything over Supertech Synthetic at the intervals you want to run in that engine.

I had a 3.0 from ~80k to 200k. Ran Supertech semi at 10k intervals and it did fine. Of course I didn't abuse it (much) and tried to drive gently until warm.

If using every available RPM all the time and it doesn't last, that probably won't be related to oil brand...

Originally Posted By: Gene K
It's a Vulcan. The oil that can kill it hasn't been evented yet.

That pretty much sums it up. I put over 200K miles on one, NY potholes and rust killed it. The engine was great, not strong by any stretch of the imagination, but very dependable. I ran whatever 5W30 dino I could get cheap in it. Any 5W30 synthetic should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back