Oil spec questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In trying to scientifically decide which oils would be better for some of my old cars, I am needing some info on what spec to look for, and the ideal value for that spec.
I have 2 Mercedes from the 90's, both around 130k miles, that need MB Spec 229.5.

Of these spec values, which ones are most important for that application?
Viscosity Index (is higher better?)
Shear (is lower better?)
NOACK (is higher better?)
TBN ( I know that higher is better)

So which spec(s) would you use to pick an oil, if price is not important. (I like to baby them. They are spoiled brats!)
Counting on some of you "oil brainiacs" to educate me on oil specs!
smile.gif

Thank you.

Just pick an oil like Amsoil that covers your app.

All oil characteristics are important for engine longevity.

Selectively picking out one or more characteristics is futile.

Any oils meeting the MB 229.5 spec will do fine as to meet that spec all the oils were tested on running engines. Pick the most available/inexpensive synthetic oils out of Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. Don't forget to factor in the rebates currently being offered by some of them (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, etc.).

The spreads between VI, Noack, TBN, HTHS, etc. shouldn't be all that great.

Your MBs from the 90s certainly DO NOT require 229.5 oil spec. MB 229.1 or 229.3 are more than good enough, although you can use later 229.5 specification if you wish to.

I ran a 1989 W201 Mercedes for 21 years. Original spec was 229.1 which I used for long time then 229.3. Even my 2009 W204 only requires 229.3 in Europe. Curiously the same car requires 229.5 in the US.

I was starting to think on the same lines. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Just pick an oil like Amsoil that covers your app.

All oil characteristics are important for engine longevity.

Selectively picking out one or more characteristics is futile.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Any oils meeting the MB 229.5 spec will do fine as to meet that spec all the oils were tested on running engines.

The spreads between VI, Noack, TBN, HTHS, etc. shouldn't be all that great.

I almost typed in "229.3/229.5"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Your MBs from the 90s certainly DO NOT require 229.5 oil spec. MB 229.1 or 229.3 are more than good enough, although you can use later 229.5 specification if you wish to.

I had a 190E in the past. Ran it with the cheapest 15W40 oil I could find at the time, it survived till ~210K before blowing a waterpump and a headgasket.
I don't think these engine are picky on oil, I'd run something like M1 0W40 in them, or maybe Maxlife 5W40.

Don't know about the 190E, but this MB document says that the CLK320 with the M112 engine definitely needs 229.5.
Approved Engine Oils

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Don't know about the 190E, but this MB document says that the CLK320 with the M112 engine definitely needs 229.5.
Approved Engine Oils

What does your owner's manual say?

In any case, there is typically no price difference between MB 229.3 and 229.5 oil, so I'd rather just run the latest stuff as it meets more stringent requirements.

Of these spec values, which ones are most important for that application?
Viscosity Index (is higher better?)
Shear (is lower better?)
NOACK (is higher better?)
TBN ( I know that higher is better)

BTW Low Noack is better, it's a less volatile oil.

Like the others I would get a MB229.5 oil, the most up to date spec. But a name brand MB229.3 oil will also be fine, the biggest difference is that MB229.5 needs a lower Noack volatility.

If you want to step it up a notch, get an oil that is both MB229.5 and Porsche A40, as Porsche oils require quite extensive engine wear tests from memory. Most good oils like M1 or Edge 0W-40 are both.

I use Delo 15W-40 in my 1992 190E. 206K and running strong. I also have a modern Mercedes. I use only approved oil in that car.

Originally Posted By: dennishiip
I use Delo 15W-40 in my 1992 190E.

I have no problem with that. I hear before good synthetics became common, people often ran HDEOs in European performance cars. I think Porsche did this long ago.

Approved Engine Oils

229.5 first appeared in late 2002 for 30k OCI (20k was 229.3), but fleece oil filter is mandatory. Older cars can use either for 20k km OCI. Do you have original manual from the 99?

Last edited:
Chrisri,

When you say 20k for MB229.3 and 30k OCI for MB229.5, are you talking miles or KM ?

Just so there is no confusion.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: SR5
Chrisri,

When you say 20k for MB229.3 and 30k OCI for MB229.5, are you talking miles or KM ?

Just so there is no confusion.

Thanks

That would be km. A couple of other German OEMs go out to 30k km OCIs too on EU fuel and 'long-life' oil (BMW, VW).

Originally Posted By: SR5

BTW Low Noack is better, it's a less volatile oil.

Like the others I would get a MB229.5 oil, the most up to date spec. But a name brand MB229.3 oil will also be fine, the biggest difference is that MB229.5 needs a lower Noack volatility.

Thanks. That is helpful info.
I am going with the 229.5 in my selection. Oils meeting 229.5 seem easier to find.
I ended up getting some LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 yesterday. NAPA had a sale. I try to buy local if the price is close to online options. Put it in the 190E, and will put it in the CLK320 later this year. TBN on it is the highest of any 229.5 Oil I looked at other than the new Mobil 1 FS X2, which nobody seems to have yet.

To say that it is driven "severe duty" may be an understatement. My 18 year old drives it WOT from startup, cold weather, less than 5 miles. So I keep the OCI pretty short. Maintenance manual calls for 3750 miles under those conditions. It is going to college in the fall, so more highway miles. Will stretch OCI back out to recommended 7500mi, and do a UOA.

I have some AMSOIL Full SAPS 5W-40 that will go in the 190E next OC.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What does your owner's manual say?

Owners Manual only gives Viscosity.
I found a MB document that says that the 99 CLK320 is 229.5. Haven't found anything official on what spec the 190E needs. Most vendor sites say 229.3/229.5.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back