Clay vs Nanoskin AutoScrub sponge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nanoskin sponge would need easier to use than a clay bar? But is it or advertising hype?

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-019-AutoScrub-Grade-Sponge/dp/B00CUAWJ6G/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XD1V42V1BB252M45TC9&dpID=41D0X1tlLJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

How does one know when the clay bar is "used up" and one needs to replace the clay bar?

It works, it will cut your time down to about 1/4 of the time it takes to clay. It also last longer. Just remember to use lube.

When you can't get rid the pieces of crude by folding the clay over and over.

I bought a 2 pack of Meguiars clay bars. Did the Regal, and the wife's Taurus. I really do think think they help. After waxing the paint looked brighter and had more depth. Could have just be subconscious but I do feel it made the cars look nicer.

I've done 2 cars with a single bar and it still looks very new. I couldn't be surprised if I could get 2-4 more uses out of the bar. However that's just my guess.

Just bought a sponge. Will use it this upcoming spring. I've never clayed, but I know it's a pain in the butt to do.

I don't have tons of time, so even if the sponge only goes half as good as clay, the time savings is worth it to me.

By the time I wash and strip, "clay", polish, and then apply a LSP (and maybe a second coat), I'm out of juice and outta time.

I have not used the Nanoskin sponge, but I have used the Chemical Guys Clay Mitt. They both appear to do the same thing. I wouldn't say that the Mitt is easier. But it is FAR faster. With a regular clay, you can tell when you need to knead it. It just gets dirty. With the Mitt since it was black I couldn't tell, so I just doused it in a bucket often. With clay you'll replace it when it no longer likes to stick it self. It's obviously full of dirt at that point.

I do recommend keeping a Clay Mitt or Sponge. Use it 1st to quickly remove contaminates, then follow through with a clay to get it butter smooth. With the C-Guys Clay Mitt, there is so much soft material between your hand and the clayed surface that it's hard to tell by feel if it's buttery smooth. The Mitt is layered... clay + Microfiber cloth + foam + microfiber cloth. And that's if you put your hand inside the mitt. If it's on the outside, add two more layers of microfiber cloth.

Regardless, that Mitt then clay follow through is still faster than clay by itself.

Last edited:
I used the Eagle one surface prep mitt on two cars, then checked several sections with a clay bar and have to say if properly done a surface prep mitt is faster and equally as good as a clay bar, meaning claying after is a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: cat843
The Nanoskin sponge would need easier to use than a clay bar? But is it or advertising hype?

http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-019-AutoScrub-Grade-Sponge/dp/B00CUAWJ6G/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XD1V42V1BB252M45TC9&dpID=41D0X1tlLJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

How does one know when the clay bar is "used up" and one needs to replace the clay bar?

I picked this up earlier this year. Its definitely MUCH quicker and easier than using clay! I felt it was a little less aggressive than the Meguiars "mild" clay I used to use, though.

FWIW, I used ONR from my QD mix bottle, with a bucket of water to rinse. Went quick and ease on my Mustang, but I would like to get something bigger than that little sponge in the future.

After using clay for a few years I switched over to that same nanoskin last year. So much faster, and if you drop it you can rinse it off unlike a clay bar.
There is a coarser grade available, and also large pads that can be used with da's.
Bottom line: It works.I don't foresee going back to clay.

I've never used clay but bought the nanoskin medium grade wash mitt to try to get rid of dots I could feel with a fingernail on a one year used car, that weren't removed after several car washes and a couple of attempts with isopropanol. The nanoskin pulled them off.

I washed the car first with regular car wash soap solution, rinsed, then went at it with the nanoskin frequently dipped into a bucket of car wash soap solution.

I ordered two of the "fine" sponges but I'm wondering if the buffer pad would be even more effective.

At a cost of $26 for two sponges versus $59 or so for the buffer pad, I won't be the one to find out.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
At a cost of $26 for two sponges versus $59 or so for the buffer pad, I won't be the one to find out.

The buffer pad version is good when you're doing many cars. An excellent detail shop uses them.

The NS sponge comes in different levels of "aggressiveness": Fine and medium. I used the fine on our newer cars and it worked very well.

I bought my mitt last year and finally got around to using it. WOW! I can't imagine buying any more clay at all. What really struck me was that as I was washing - I washed one side of my hood with my regular MF mitt and left the soap. Then I got the nanoskin mitt out of the soapy bucket and decontaminated the same side. Then I rinsed, and I was stunned how much difference there was between the sides. The unwashed side was still beading and sheeting, but it was clear the decontaminated side had nothing left - no wax, no grit - nothing!

I would imagine the wax/sealant I applied later had an incredibly clean surface to enhance bonding.

I haven't been that excited about a new detailing product in years!!

Just did the truck with my nanoskin sponge (the little guy). Just rediculously easier and fast than messing around with clay...

The one thing I would note is that the blue version is definitely very mild. To the point where if there was anything big enough to be seen by my eyes (I'm 20/10 vision, too!) then it wouldn't remove it in any way shape or form. In my experience even the more mild clays will start to remove some of these tiny drops of tar/bug/whatever but the blue nanosponge did not.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I bought a 2 pack of Meguiars clay bars. Did the Regal, and the wife's Taurus. I really do think think they help. After waxing the paint looked brighter and had more depth. Could have just be subconscious but I do feel it made the cars look nicer.

I've done 2 cars with a single bar and it still looks very new. I couldn't be surprised if I could get 2-4 more uses out of the bar. However that's just my guess.

+1. Use to just wash and wax up till a year ago. Then started claying. Noticed it shines even more.

Does anyone have any issues with marring when using the nanoskin? I used the small blue sponge on my wife's dark blue car. I ended up with micro-marring in some places, even when I thought I was using adequate lube. Never had that issue with clay. No big deal as I was polishing anyway, but to me it seemed like the nanoskin was quicker to mar the finish.

I recently used the nano skin sponge for the first time on my Accord.

I first washed the car with Dawn to help strip all the hold wax off of it, and then made fresh wash water with Dawn, and used this as lube for the sponge.

I did the whole car in like 15 minutes. It's easy and it worked incredibly well. I'm super impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back