Why is Mobil Delvac 1 so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on why Mobil Delvac 1 is so much more expensive than Rotella T6 and Chevron DELO LE ?

Is it better?

Thanks

I believe better base oil. Not too expensive if you wait for sale. I get it at NAPA for $21.99 a gallon and wait for Mobil's $12 a gallon rebate...but definitely not willing to pay the higher end prices.

search for a list of all the oil that have a big pedigree as mobil delvac 1 le5w-30 then you ll understand why it is expensive. that certification isnt for show . it means manufacturer of big rig and cars agree that it pass muster . and those certification cost money . any time they ask to be certified by say detroit diesel,gm ,Toyota sn orand cj-4 and the futur it cost them money to get this but it is their customer garanty that said oil isnt a lie . why you thing tes-295 exist .because a lot of oil are just lie. tes- 295 an number ensure that if allison say you yellow metal wont rust .their word is garantied by their an number they give to the manufacturer that jumped all the oops required.valvoline new version at walmart also supposedly went to all the testing mobile delvac le5w-30 went but since it isnt officially vetted by cummins and cummins is their natural ally , i suspect valvoline is just posturing!

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting. I've never seen Mobil Delvac 1 advertised.

What is the difference between Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 and LE 5W30 besides viscosity?

So, how then would it compare to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 as far as base stock etc? This is a GTL, correct?

I appreciate the help.

Watch Amazon as 6 months ago I got it for $12.11 a gallon- shipped with Prime

Originally Posted By: pb379
Any thoughts on why Mobil Delvac 1 is so much more expensive than Rotella T6 and Chevron DELO LE ?

Is it better?

Thanks

Mobil 1 112786 15W-40 Delvac 1300 Super Motor Oil - 1 Gallon
Is $12.47 now on Amazon unless your talking FS....

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Mobil 1 112786 15W-40 Delvac 1300 Super Motor Oil - 1 Gallon
Is $12.47 now on Amazon unless your talking FS....
Fairly certain, he is talking about FS. I picked up some on a Pep Boys Black Friday special otherwise it is much too expensive for me to even consider purchasing.

Interesting. I've never seen Mobil Delvac 1 advertised.

Remember their market is not you and I. It's the over the road people, so if you were to go into their circles, you would see advertising all over the place.

Yes, I'm talking strictly of FS.
My RAM =OM says RAM recommends FS ACEA-C3 5W30 meeting FCA MS-11106 or PP Euro L. Not really looking to save a ton of money, just looking for the best oil. The PP Euro L has been working fine, just interested in other options hoping to get 200,000 miles out of the engine.

I used to be a big truck gear jammer, so I kind of stay in the loop a little. Most of the adverts I see are Shell Rotella and it is normally less expensive than Delvac or DELO.

I'll keep an eye out on Amzn.

Thanks

Hit the rebates, if you have Meijer around you can combine your purchases with mPerks, NAPA sometimes also has it for $21.99/gallon during Mobil rebate season, I generally get 5 gallons every year & get the $60 rebate from Mobil with no issues.

Farm and Fleet had Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 for $16.99/gal on black friday.... I stocked up.

Delvac 1 LE 5W30 I find at TA truck stops for about $33/gal.

Yes, I'm talking strictly of FS.
My RAM =OM says RAM recommends FS ACEA-C3 5W30 meeting FCA MS-11106 or PP Euro L. Not really looking to save a ton of money, just looking for the best oil. The PP Euro L has been working fine, just interested in other options hoping to get 200,000 miles out of the engine.

I used to be a big truck gear jammer, so I kind of stay in the loop a little. Most of the adverts I see are Shell Rotella and it is normally less expensive than Delvac or DELO.

I'll keep an eye out on Amzn.

Thanks

I'm running Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 in my ECODiesel at the moment. I've run it before. Euro L has low ash additives which compromises engine wear however less Zinc/phos to build up on the DPF. I'd rather protect the engine than the DPF, I have used CJ4 Synthetic oils.

There is the comment about better base oil. Additionally, here, the situation is reversed. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is a bit cheaper than the competition, and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is a bit cheaper yet. That is comparing distributors. The retail pricing is, of course, usually atrocious no matter what you choose. Chevron stuff is usually fairly cheap from trucking outfits here.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is a CJ-4, E7, E9 lubricant, whereas Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is a CJ-4, E6, E7, E9 lubricant, with lower phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
[/quote]

I'm running Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 in my ECODiesel at the moment. I've run it before. Euro L has low ash additives which compromises engine wear however less Zinc/phos to build up on the DPF. I'd rather protect the engine than the DPF, I have used CJ4 Synthetic oils.

I've read of your JGC. I think you were using T6 at the time.

Appreciate the comments.

Delvac 1 does seem to resist shearing a bit better than some of the others. And, of course, cost is a geographical thing, so the "value" really depends. Up here, Delvac 1 is priced near what would be normal conventional prices, so it's one heck of a value. If you're paying significantly more for Delvac 1 than the equivalently rated competitors, then perhaps not so much.

As I mentioned in another thread, a certain agricultural manufacturer and service outfit here gets Delvac 1 at half of what I spend, and I'm paying half of retail.

Most of the adverts I see are Shell Rotella and it is normally less expensive than Delvac or DELO.
From a price point, in the Houston area it is:

Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 > Rotella T6 5W-40 > Delo 400 LE 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back