Wheel centering ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought aluminum rims and snows from DTD. They came with a small centering ring which I used for each rim. Now it's spring and those centering rings are a PIA to get off before I can mount the normal all-season tires/rims. Need to work them off with a putty knife.

Next year some silicone grease or similar in there.

Any one else come across this?

Yep, on both cars. With aluminum rims from DTD, go figure. Gooping them up really well with anti-seize seems to work. Although the plastic rings just get stuck no matter what since they fit tightly in the fall. It's much easier to pry them off with a pick in the spring with the anti-seize. The aluminum centering rings don't get stuck.

With both sets of plastic centering rings I had with DT wheels I eventually had to buy an extra set to replace the ones that would inevitably break due to brittleness. Aluminum would be better.

They're called hub-centric rings. They do seem to get stuck inside the snow wheels sometimes, but you can just leave them there.

Could you grind a slit in them then put a loop of mechanics wire through? Come spring, yank the wire.

The bbs wheels I got from Tire Rack for my accord have aluminum centering rings that stay snapped in the wheels. Work great, no issues.

DD1CF974-45D6-4BF7-B7E6-61AE9FCE722E_zpsxoz3thcd.jpg

If they don't want to lay, cut them. They're only plastic...

In the future if you make sure to buy wheels that fit properly you won't have this problem.

Originally Posted By: Olas

In the future if you make sure to buy wheels that fit properly you won't have this problem.

It has nothing to do with "proper fitment". Car companies change the hub size sometimes but the aftermarket wheel manufacturers are not going to crank out new versions of the same wheel. Hub centric rings are perfectly safe.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Olas

It has nothing to do with "proper fitment". Car companies change the hub size sometimes but the aftermarket wheel manufacturers are not going to crank out new versions of the same wheel. Hub centric rings are perfectly safe.

You're right in that they're perfectly safe, I don't disagree with that one bit. CB however, is as much a part of fitment as PCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back