Subaru Oil Burning Class Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if the settlement been discussed previously.

I just sold my 2013 Forester, so this is for any current owners. Today, I received notice of the class action settlement. It warranties against oil burning greater than one-third quart in 1,200 miles for 8 years and 100,000 miles. It'll also pay reimbursement for repairs, rental cars, and six quarts of oil.

http://www.oilconsumption.settlementclass.com

I hope Subaru loses. Wake up calls are a good thing imo. Naturally Subaru denies there's a problem.

I would like Subaru as a brand a lot more if they drop the Boxer engine... Lower center of gravity for a grocery getter yada yada...

It is the only thing that steers me away from considering getting a Subaru, because everything else about the brand is very solid.

Does oil consumption issues afflicted both NA and turbo versions?
blush.gif

My wife got her first Subaru about 8 months ago. I was really worried about the oil but its been perfect so far. I love the boxer design, I'm anti transverse engines. They have replaced plenty of short blocks according to the Subaru forumns.

There's some confusion here from people who didn't read the info I provided.

This has been settled, pending approval of the court, so there's nothing to "win".

Here is a list of the included vehicles:

Automatic / CVT Transmission:
• 2011-14 Forester (below VIN *529004)
• 2012-13 Impreza 4-Door (below VIN *033336)
• 2012-13 Impreza 5-Door Wagon (below VIN *886714)
• 2013 Crosstrek (below VIN *856139)
• 2013 Legacy (below VIN *048086)
• 2013 Outback (below VIN *321435)

Manual Transmission:
• 2011-15 Forester (below VIN *543624)
• 2012-15 Impreza (below VIN *270253)
• 2013-15 Crosstrek (below VIN *270284)
• 2013-14 Legacy (all)
• 2013-14 Outback (all)

If you have a vehicle in the class, it'll be warrantied against the oil burning as I previously mentioned and you're eligible for the reimbursement. Subaru released a TSB last year which allowed dealers to make repairs at the 1/3 quart in 1,200 threshold.

I thought 1qt/500 miles was condemnation threshold? They would be reasonable if it were 1qt/750-1000 mi IMO.

Of course the lawyer thieves steal half or more of the proceeds, so may not be worth it anyway...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I hope Subaru loses. Wake up calls are a good thing imo. Naturally Subaru denies there's a problem.
Loses what?? The case has already settled.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My wife got her first Subaru about 8 months ago. I was really worried about the oil but its been perfect so far. I love the boxer design, I'm anti transverse engines. They have replaced plenty of short blocks according to the Subaru forumns.
Those transverse engine plugs are really east to get to. And the valve covers, they NEVER leak.

I just got one of those notices from SOA yesterday for our 2015 MT Forester. It used abut a qt per oci. Not worried. I you do NOTING they will extend engine warranty related to future excessive oil consumption to 8 year 100K miles. If you're over 100k NOW you get an extra year.

Big question; what is the Fuji TSB solution? Re-ring?

Honda has a TSB on this issue applicable to accord 4 cyls. Honda issue seems to be like Nissan with the close couple cat#1 with EX reversion causing drawback of hard deposits and causing cyl scoring. There are photos on the HONDA TSB. Interesting read

Originally Posted By: Falken
I would like Subaru as a brand a lot more if they drop the Boxer engine... Lower center of gravity for a grocery getter yada yada...

It is the only thing that steers me away from considering getting a Subaru, because everything else about the brand is very solid.

There is nothing inherently "Un-solid" about the boxer engine layout. Just ask Porsche.

My '12 Outback uses no discernible oil at 112k miles. The problem with the '13 (New engine family) seems to have been QC problems with the rings. Since solved.

There is always something that pops up, when you buy the first year of a new design.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Those transverse engine plugs are really east to get to. And the valve covers, they NEVER leak.

It took me 45 minutes for my first Subie plug change. And I am betting that most valve cover gasket leaks have more to do with extended OCIs than anything inherent in the engine layout.

My BMW motorcycle (Boxer) is still on the original valve cover gaskets at 80k miles......And I R/R them every 6k for valve adjustments.

My 05 Forester consumed about 2 quarts over 8k miles. I was hesitant to buy another because of that issue.
My 15 Impreza has not consumed any oil in 14k miles. When l purchased the car, the service manager told me they modified the rings on the later model Imprezas to address the issue. I don't know if it is true or not.

I like Subaru vehicles, but l am not a fan of 6k drain intervals on full synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Loses what?? The case has already settled.

I was multi tasking early this morning, sorry. I'm glad they lost. Maybe it will serve as a wake up call.

[/quote] Those transverse engine plugs are really east to get to. And the valve covers, they NEVER leak.
You didn't see the plugs on my junker Honda Fit. Under the windshield. Also had to take intake manifolod off to do valve adjustment on a rocker design. Just a lil transverse 1.5L. Current Honda engineering Morons.
Mr. S. Honda is "roiling in his grave." The mid 80s civics were much better cars as a whole, IMO.

Just did my plugs on my '10 Fit on Saturday...

80,000 km and the NGK's that came out looked brand new...

Well at least I know how to disassemble my whole car now which is good to know I guess.

Put everything back with anti-seize, Honda being a Honda, someone else will probably appreciate that I took the time to do it right.

Heck, it will probably be me keeping this car until the wheels fall off...

But burning tons of oil in a new Subaru, that would bother anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back