Cut Open: Nissan OEM, Bosch D3300 & Mobil M1-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are the 3 oil filters cut open side by side, with M1 being the tall version of the M1-108.

Here are some not so obvious observations,

OEM's center tube appears to have narrower openings compared to the other two even thought the pattern is identical, and maybe a little excessive gluing. It's a little undersized for a cap wrench. Can torque it to spec, but not unscrew it later on as the cap wrench starts spinning.

Bosch has most evenly spaced pleats, softest anti drain back valve and hardest to open relief valve.

M1 has toughest to tear media. It's not thicker than the other two but appears to be saturated with some kind of polymer where it feels a little like plastic when cutting.

I've ran all 3 without any issues. All 3 appear to be well made. This OCI it's Bosch. The OCI right before was M1 and OEM was last ran few years ago.

oa8qZUx.jpg

1pWSvjh.jpg

4SvKEdd.jpg

MR0XMO0.jpg

FkugTee.jpg

G3HMVfk.jpg

And the all use a louvered centertube....Ohhh the Humanity!

All look like they would work fine. Good to see Nissan going to a silicone adbv for their OEM replacement filters.

Ever thought of running the longer 7317/14610/57356/D3323 application? Just wondering.

Nice pics. Thanks for c&p.

Quote:
Looks like Mobil 1 has gone to the Fram bypass......

Actually that is the traditional Champ made nylon type blue button bypass that has been used by Champ (now Fram/Rank) for a long time. Below is a pic of one used on a Champ made Super Tech, before coming under Fram/Rank.

It's true though that 'some' M1 spin on applications used to use Champ style M1 thread end bypass, but not all. Don't know if that is true now though after coming under Fram/Rank.

ST7317004.jpg

Thanks for the replie, I wasn't aware of that, I've only seen the thread end one or the pop one built into the dome plate
On the filter itself before. Never ran into one in the spring on a Mobil one.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Below are the 3 oil filters cut open side by side, with M1 being the tall version of the M1-108.

Here are some not so obvious observations,

OEM's center tube appears to have narrower openings compared to the other two even thought the pattern is identical, and maybe a little excessive gluing. It's a little undersized for a cap wrench. Can torque it to spec, but not unscrew it later on as the cap wrench starts spinning.

Bosch has most evenly spaced pleats, softest anti drain back valve and hardest to open relief valve.

M1 has toughest to tear media. It's not thicker than the other two but appears to be saturated with some kind of polymer where it feels a little like plastic when cutting.

I've ran all 3 without any issues. All 3 appear to be well made. This OCI it's Bosch. The OCI right before was M1 and OEM was last ran few years ago.

oa8qZUx.jpg

1pWSvjh.jpg

4SvKEdd.jpg

MR0XMO0.jpg

FkugTee.jpg

G3HMVfk.jpg

Very nice comparison. Thanks to you.

Originally Posted By: guitarandoil67
Thanks for the replie, I wasn't aware of that, I've only seen the thread end one or the pop one built into the dome plate
On the filter itself before. Never ran into one in the spring on a Mobil one.

No problem. Some not aware Champ used the blue button bypass before being acquired by Rank. I haven't seen a recent manufacture M1 EP with the thread end bypass posted, so not sure if that design still being used or gone to a dome end bypass design for all.

Where is the Nissan made? Looks like maybe it has the thickest media. Don't see any bypass on the Nissan. I like the Fram bypass system, looks like good flow, a lot like the Toyota type. The old ST looks as good as any. I suppose if one of the bypass fingers broke it could find it's way out, but seems very unlikely, could say the same thing about just about any style spring bypass parts. Need to go to rubber combo valve to avoid imminent disaster, even though that is not going to happen.

They all look like good, serviceable filters. I would have no problem running any of those, based on the details shown in the C&P.

I'd expect each of them should be able to handle a 7,500 mile OCI without a problem... and the M1 should be able to to 10k, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
And the all use a louvered centertube....Ohhh the Humanity!

LoL ... I was thinking the same thing.

Nice cut & post davison0976.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Where is the Nissan made? Looks like maybe it has the thickest media. Don't see any bypass on the Nissan. I like the Fram bypass system, looks like good flow, a lot like the Toyota type. The old ST looks as good as any. I suppose if one of the bypass fingers broke it could find it's way out, but seems very unlikely, could say the same thing about just about any style spring bypass parts. Need to go to rubber combo valve to avoid imminent disaster, even though that is not going to happen.

Nissan's OEM is made in Mexico. The media is indeed thicker and it's fluffier compared to the other two. The bypass valve on the OEM is inconspicuous, but it's there.

2Mz2rN9.jpg

hRcPz3d.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They look like quality filters. Thank you for sharing.

The taller Bosch is D3323
smile.gif

Good point. They appear to have gained a popularity because 2 weekends that I went to Walmart D3323s were sold out, while D3300s fully stacked up.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Nissan's OEM is made in Mexico. The media is indeed thicker and it's fluffier compared to the other two. The bypass valve on the OEM is inconspicuous, but it's there.

2Mz2rN9.jpg

hRcPz3d.jpg

Gonher has a website and claims 99% efficiency @ X, but maybe the micron is in their literature. Is there a ragged edge of metsl on the bypass hole in the picture? Interesting Nissan would go to them instead of the usual suspects. I wonder if they make the Microgreen filters.
http://www.grupogonher.com/en/tools/automotive-service/oil-filters

I'd put money on the Gonher made Nissan OEM specifically, not having a published or documented online 4548-12 micron efficiency spec. OEM filter efficiency being proprietary is SOP.

Further it appears that Gonher is no different than the current M&H owned Puro line in listing a percentage only.

That said, do highly prefer the construction of the current Gonher made Nissan oem filter to the previous China made fiber endcap nitrile adbv oem. Depending on price, I'd use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back