Briggs and stratton flathead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they all gone?
A friend wants a mower and i love briggs and stratton flat heads 5.5 hp-7hp with the bowl carb.
I watched a teardown of a newer over head valve b&s carb and it looks much more complicated than it should be.
Also everything was plastic, including the bowl.
It looks like most of the big box stores carry 550ex 140cc
Are theses new engines junk?

I hope so. 1920's technology that B&S held on to far too long. If it weren't for Honda OHV types introduced 1960- 70's we'd still suffer with flatheads.

I'm on my 3rd year with a Briggs 625ex powered mower with no issues so far. The (paper) air filter is kind of expensive but that's my only gripe so far. Time will tell if the auto-choke, no-primer carburetor is reliable.

A couple of the Toros use the Briggs flathead. They are durable. I've got a Briggs 190 ohv that is amazing. I would presume the 140 is decent if not light on power-

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I'm on my 3rd year with a Briggs 625ex powered mower with no issues so far. The (paper) air filter is kind of expensive but that's my only gripe so far. Time will tell if the auto-choke, no-primer carburetor is reliable.

Add a paper towel pre-filter. It really works. Check out my earlier posts this forum.

For the old flat head design b&s
I got two filters for 5 dollars amd change delivered
It btw also fits the honda harmony
As far as i am concerned the old b&s are my favorite strong reliable cheap and easy to work on.
I usually find a handful of mowers free on craigslist per year.
I clean the carb, change the oil, replace the filter (sometimes), sharpen the blade, replace the pull cord if it is real bad
Wash it and put it back on craigslist for 60--120 dollars

You're right pdx-. A Briggs flat-head with the bowl/float carb is one sweet running engine. They're out there, but getting harder to find as the model years tick by. I believe Toro still uses them on some Recyclers and Super Recyclers and you might find some mid grade MTD or Husqvarna group built mowers with these engines on them.

Also, some of the "brand new engines" type places sell new 3.5-4 HP and the larger 5HP flathead Briggs and Stratton's.

They're still making a few flat heads in the vertical shaft configuration. They did away with flat heads in the horizontal shaft configuration many years ago for some unknown reason. By the way, Briggs & Stratton calls them "L-Heads."

I don't really think it's the head design you like, rather other features like the carb, materials etc.
The more modern ohc/ohv design makes it a bit more fuel efficient and improves power ratio, whick makes sense with the bigger ope which can be gas hogs.
No, a good over head valve design with tough fuel delivery is better than a L head/flat head.
It makes no sense bashing ohc because of a paper air filter. Put in your favorite foam piece it that's what you like, that not a valve problem...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back